Take the Lead:
AALL Leadership Academy
October 16-17, 2009
2815 Jorie Blvd
Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
Download the Flyer
Law librarians in the early stages of their careers can get ahead in the profession by attending the AALL Leadership Academy, October 16-17, 2009.
Train for leadership roles by acquiring both the self-awareness and strategies you need to emerge as a leader within your organization and the profession.
Academy participants will use self assessment tools, group exercises, case studies, and skill practice to develop key signatures of leadership.
You Will Gain Key Leadership Strategies:
- Identify and capitalize on your unique strengths while understanding how they may differ from others on your team.
- Frame productive questions to understand your role in your workplace and the profession.
- Expand your capacity for strategic thinking and decision mapping.
- Increase your visibility to show the value you bring to your organization.
- Learn to work effectively with varied personalities and bridge generations.
- Grow your capacity for creativity, innovation, and fresh ideas.
- Build trust by translating your values into a vision for your leadership and organization.
The program will feature speaker Dr. Barbara Mackoff, leadership educator and widely-acclaimed expert in understanding the way leaders think. She is the author of five books, has been featured on "The Today Show" and "All Things Considered," as well as in The New York Times, USA Today, and the Washington Post, and was a keynote speaker for the Special Libraries Association.
Application and Selection
The academy application process is open to AALL members. Applications are accepted May 1-June 30.
- Interested applicants should be prepared to clearly articulate interest, describe how academy participation will benefit personal, professional and organizational goals.
- Applicants should request two professional recommendations (at least one from someone in a supervisory or managerial role).
- Recommendations must be received by 5:00 p.m. Central Time, Tuesday, June 30, for full consideration.
- Please request your recommendations be sent to AALL Director of Education Celeste R. Smith.
Selected fellows will participate in pre-engagement exercises, be assigned a mentor, and receive ongoing leadership development opportunities.
The cost of attendance is $250. Academy materials, continental breakfast, break and lunch each day is included. A dinner on Friday night is also included. Participants are responsible for covering transportation and housing.
2008 Leadership Academy Information
Are you interested in learning what recent fellows have to say about the academy? Click here to view a Spectrum article written by Tracy Leming.
You can also access the recent Take the Lead webinar archive to learn more about the 2008 academy.
This continuing professional education opportunity is sponsored by the American Association of Law Libraries. Contact AALL Director of Education Celeste R. Smith at 312/205-8032 for more information.