View the Committee Roster
CHARGE: AALL has agreed to host a Joint Study Institute (JSI) in the United States in 2008. (See July 2005 Board Book, Tab 16). The Planning Committee will be responsible for organizing a four-day Institute to take place in the summer of 2008 at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. The committee is charged to:
- Plan the institute's educational programming, which will focus on the law and legal system of the United States.
- Determine the registration fees. Contract for and coordinate housing for attendees.
- Arrange for appropriate tours and social functions to facilitate networking among attendees.
- Compile background information on the planning of prior institutes, particularly the 2000 JSI which was hosted by AALL at Yale University.
- Work cooperatively with the four other sponsoring associations of the JSI series: the British and Irish Association of Law Librarians (BIALL), the Canadian Association of Law Libraries/Association Canadienne des Bibliotheques de Droit (CALL/ACBD), the Australian Law Librarians' Association (ALLA) (formerly the Australian Law Librarians' Group) and the New Zealand Law Librarians' Association (NZLLA).
- Create a website for information about the 2008 institute and work with the AALLNET Coordinator to develop a Joint Study Institute homepage on AALLNET, which will include information about previous institutes.
- Provide the Executive Board with a preliminary report for the Fall 2007 Board meeting and an interim report for the Spring 2008 Board meeting.
- Write a final report summarizing and evaluating the 2008 JSI and submit the report to the Board no later than the Fall 2008 meeting.
SIZE: The Committee will consist of two co-chairs and eight members. The members will be appointed by the President and will serve until October 1, 2008. The staff liaison shall be the Education Manager.