This charge has been updated. For the current charge click here.
Minority Leadership Development Award
George A. Strait Minority Scholarship
TYPE: Process Committee
PURPOSE: The Committee serves to ensure the diversity of AALL membership.
CHARGE: The Committee shall be charged with:
- Identifying issues related to maximizing the diversity of AALL membership
- Exploiting the benefits and possibilities of a diverse and complex membership
- Recognizing and celebrating the richness of an active, diverse membership
- Advising the Board on mechanisms and programs that encourage a diverse and complex membership
- Encouraging active participation by the whole membership including identifying barriers and how to remove them
- Enriching the Association and the profession through extensive integration of multiple perspectives and experiences
- Determining the winner of the AALL Minority Leadership Development Award
TENURE: Membership on the Committee shall normally be for two years, except that the Vice Chair and Chair will each serve three (3) years. The member selected as Vice Chair at the end of the first year will serve in that capacity in the second year, and become Chair in the third year.
SIZE: The Committee shall normally consist of a Chair, Vice Chair, five members, and a non-voting Executive Board liaison.
STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS COMPLIANCE:
Goal II: Education
Goal III: Advocacy
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER COMMITTEES: The Committee works with the Annual Meeting Program, Awards, Nominations, Recruitment to Law Librarianship, and Scholarships committees. The Committee also works with the Grants Committee to screen for duplication in the awarding of the AALL Minority Leadership Development Award.
CHARGE: The committee shall be charged with identifying issues related to maximizing the diversity of the AALL membership, exploiting the benefits and possibilities of a diverse and complex membership; and recognizing and celebrating the richness of an active, diverse membership. The committee shall also advise the Board on mechanisms and programs that encourage a diverse and complex membership; encourage active participation by the whole membership; including identifying barriers and how to remove them; and enrich the Association and profession through extensive integration of multiple perspectives and experiences.
(Name & Charge approved July, 1994 Board Meeting - Tab 26, page 1947)
SIZE: The committee shall consist of six members and the chair.