View the Committee Roster
TYPE: Policy Committee
PURPOSE: The Committee on the Economic Status of Law Librarians serves to ensure sustained attention on issues involving law librarian compensation.
CHARGE: The committee shall:
- Monitor the work of other associations that share an interest in compensation and pay equity for law librarians and related professions, and where appropriate, convey ideas and suggestions on improving compensation and pay equity to the AALL Executive Board and to AALL members.
- Maintain a compilation of "best practices" relating to improving compensation of law librarians including marketing, public relations, negotiating skills, and advocacy.
- Monitor scholarly developments in the fields of labor economics, human resource management, and related fields for ideas, findings, and developments relevant to advancing the economic well-being of law librarians.
- Assist the Executive Board as appropriate in facilitating salary-equity studies to document law librarians' compensation as compared to other professionals in their work environments.
- Serve in an advisory role to the Director of Publications for the compilation of the AALL Biennial Salary Survey.
TIME COMMITMENT: The time commitment is between zero to six hours a month, depending on the time of year and the projects of the committee. The charge is very broad, and it has a limited number of specific recurring duties. Because self-initiated projects are so important, prospective committee members should be both motivated and creative. The committee often has to develop its own initiatives and develop their own time schedules for completion. Note: Time commitments are estimates from past assignments and can change with new projects or requests for assistance from the Executive Board.
TENURE: Membership on the committee shall normally be for two years, except that the vice chair and chair will each serve three years. The returning member selected as vice chair at the end of the first year shall serve in that capacity in the second year, and become chair in the third.
SIZE: The committee shall consist of a chair, vice chair, five members, and a non-voting Executive Board and staff liaison.
STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS COMPLIANCE:
Goal I: Authority
Goal II: Advocacy
Goal III: Education
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER COMMITTEES/STRUCTURES: The committee consults with the following AALL committees and entities on how law librarians' skills can be leveraged in a changing environment: