This charge has been updated. For the current charge click here.
Statement on the Value Added to Organizations by Law Librarians
TYPE: Process Committee
PURPOSE: The Public Relations Committee serves to promote members, member institutions and the profession to AALL members, employers, the general library profession, the legal community and the community at large.
CHARGE: The Committee shall:
- Develop materials that will inform those within and outside the profession regarding the value of law librarians
- Selects one (1) or more recipients every year for the annual AALL Excellence in Marketing (EIM) Awards, or no recipient if it deems none of the nominees sufficiently qualified, and will submit the winning recipient's name(s) to the Awards Committee. The Awards Committee will oversee the grant of the annual AALL Excellence in Marketing (EIM) Awards to the recipient selected by the Public Relations Committee.
- Submit a column on a public relations topic for each issue of the AALL Spectrum
TENURE: Membership on the Committee shall normally be for two (2) years, except that the Vice Chair and Chair will each serve three (3) years. The returning member selected as Vice Chair at the end of the first year shall serve in that capacity in the second year, and become Chair in the third.
SIZE: The Committee shall consist of a Chair, Vice Chair, seven (7) members, and a non-voting Executive Board liaison.
STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS COMPLIANCE:
Goal I: Leadership
Goal II: Education
Goal III: Advocacy
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER COMMITTEES/STRUCTURES: The Committee works collaboratively with the following AALL Committees and entities:
- Economic Status of Law Librarians
- Membership Development
- Recruitment to Law Librarianship
- AALL Spectrum Magazine
- AALL Chapters
To promote members, member institutions, and the profession to our members, employees, the general library profession, the legal community, and the community at large. This includes increasing awareness and understanding of the profession of law librarianship and changing the image of law librarians.
(July, 1995 Board Meeting-Tab 6, page 2121)
SIZE: The size of this committee has not been specified in the Committee Handbook. By practice this committee generally has seven (7) members and a chair.
(September 15, 1998)