November 8, 2001
Deadline: Dec. 3
A Message from AALL Vice President/President-Elect Carol Avery Nicholson:
AALL provides many marvelous opportunities to make the world a better place for law librarians and the thousands (dare I say millions?) that we serve. The annual call for committee volunteers may excite some members beyond belief, but others may be bewildered by the array of choices, unsure of why you should bother, or wonder if you have the time to make the commitment. If it's been a while since you put your name in the hat, why not volunteer now!
Much of the work of AALL is done through its committees. Take a moment to consider why you should get involved, and stay involved, in the work of the largest professional association dedicated to serving the needs of law librarians and the legal information community. For example:
- Continuing education is vital to our ability to perform our duties and serve our constituents.
- Research and writing turn you on and you want to ensure that we have the best publications available.
- AALLNET is awesome! Don't you want it to be the center of the Internet universe?
- There aren't enough law librarians to fill every need and you have great recruiting ideas.
- Improving vendor relations makes everyone's life easier!
- Government information policies are changing dramatically and you want to participate in the effort to ensure fair and equitable access.
- The world is changing and we need to reach out to new members and leaders.
- It's fun to give away money to help deserving members and students.
These are just a few of the reasons to apply for a committee appointment. I'm sure that you can think of many others. Most importantly, dedicated and talented members continue to make this the best association in the world for law librarians.
A complete list of the current committees and their charges is in the AALL Directory and Handbook and on the Association Web site, AALLNET, at http://www.aallnet.org.
To apply for a committee appointment, submit a completed AALL Committee Volunteer Form by Dec. 3. The form is available online at AALLNET at http://www.aallnet.org/committee/volunteer_form.asp.