The AALL Spectrum
® Blog is published by the American Association of Law Libraries. Submissions from AALL members and other members of the legal community are highly encouraged. Opinions and editorial views expressed are those of the authors and do not represent the official position of AALL. AALL does not assume any responsibility for statements advanced by contributors. The previous Spectrum
Blog was located at aallspectrum.wordpress.com
9/19/2014 5:51:28 PM
Dreaming of a Green Conference…
As an environmentalist and a law librarian it can be a real challenge marrying two somewhat disparate identities. This marriage seems to be the most difficult at AALL’s Annual Conference and Chapter meetings because sustainability issues often fall by the wayside to our fabulous programming, receptions, and parties. That being said, the new Social Responsibilities SIS Environmental Taskforce and the Environmental Libraries Caucus have teamed up to raise awareness, promote sustainable solutions, and to hopefully work towards a greener and more sustainable conference in Philadelphia in 2015.
The Taskforce is currently focused on the following issues:
- Developing a survey to sample AALL member interest in sustainability.
- Drafting an AALL Sustainability Resolution.
- Proposing sustainability related programming for the 2015 Annual Conference.
- Developing best practices standards for implementing sustainable practices in the law library setting.
The Taskforce is still looking for members so if you are interested in contributing please contact David Selden, National Indian Law Library/NARF at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those AALL members interested in learning more about sustainability (especially in the library context) below please find a list of resources:
- David Selden’s Sustainable Law Librarian AALL Spectrum Article Series (available on HeinOnline)
- Richard Zorza, Chicago Bar Foundation, The Sustainable 21st Century Law Library: Vision, Deployment and Assessment for Access to Justice (2012).
- Laura L. Barnes, Green Libraries LibGuide, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (last updated Sept. 18, 2014).
- Shawna McKinley, Meeting Mythbusters: The Cost of #Carbon Accountability, Eventcellany (June 9, 2013).
- Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Sustainable Libraries Blog.
Taryn L. Rucinski
Environmental Law Librarian
& Adjunct Professor of Law
Pace University School of Law
White Plains, NY
Posted By 9/19/2014 5:51:28 PM
6/10/2014 11:49:26 AM
Spring 2014 SR-SIS Newsletter Available
The Spring edition of the SR-SIS Newsletter is available! There is a lot going on in this special interest section. The Committee on Services to Prisoners is calling for involvement, a new standing committee on disability issues should be coming soon, and they’re gearing up for the annual book drive. You’ll also find book reviews, a list of annual meeting programs by SR-SIS members, and proposed bylaws revisions (polls open June 2-13).
Posted By 6/10/2014 11:49:26 AM