The Private Law Libraries Special Interest Section (PLL-SIS) was established to promote interests and address issues of concern to those employed in private law firms and corporations. Presently, the PLL-SIS sponsors seven groups under its auspices: Competitive Intelligence, Corporate, Independents, Intellectual Property, Knowledge Management, One-Person Libraries, Records/Conflicts Management, and Small & Medium Libraries.
The Standing Committees of PLL-SIS include: Bylaws, Communications, Education, Grants, Membership, Nominations, and Strategic Directions with option to create Task Forces and Ad Hoc Committees as needed.
Activities of the PLL-SIS include:
In addition to the above activities, the Section created a Strategic Plan in the Fall of 1996 formulated to guide its activities and to be continually updated and revised as warranted. This plan identifies initiatives targeted to addressing the needs of the private law librarian, both within AALL and the larger legal and law firm and corporate librarian communities. Subsequent revisions were promulgated in 2000, 2005, 2011, and 2012.
- Sponsoring programs and workshops at the AALL Annual Meeting
- Planning and organizing the annual PLL Summit
- Working with AALL to promote law librarianship using materials such as the AALL Tool Kit
- Sponsoring educational programming for and exhibiting at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Legal Administrators
- Funding scholarships and grants to assist members in need
- Promoting the value of our members and their professional expertise to the larger legal community
- Advocating for professional growth and leadership opportunities within law firms and other law related organizations which support the practice of law
- Providing professional development and CLE opportunities for our members and the greater legal community
- Enhancing our members awareness of trends in technology, knowledge management and the business of law through the maintenance of websites, newsletters and other available social media
- Communicating the needs of our members to AALL and collaborating with other special interest sections and associations on issues of common interest
The Section issued its own printed quarterly newsletter, PLL Perspectives, from 1978 to 1982, 1985 to 1987, and 1989 to Summer of 2012. Archives of PLL Perspectives are housed on the PLL Website. Beginning with the October 2012 issue, PLL-SIS began electronic publication of a monthly newsletter titled PLL e-Newsletter. It is shared electronically each month with all PLL-SIS members via Constant Contact.