: The Library Research Specialist works with a team of research librarians to
provide in-depth legal, business, and competitive intelligence research to lawyers and staff
throughout the firm. The main focus of this position is conducting competitive intelligence
research and analysis designed to further the strategic initiatives and business development goals
of the firm.
Director of Research & Knowledge Services - Fisher & Phillips LLP
Posted: March 18, 2015
Job Title: Director of Research & Knowledge Services
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Fisher & Phillips LLP, a national management-side labor and employment law firm with 300 attorneys in 30 offices, is seeking a Director of Research & Knowledge Services. The position provides national support to the firm, reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is based in Atlanta. For a more comprehensive description of our firm, please visit www.laborlawyers.com.
The Director of Research & Knowledge Services is based in Atlanta and manages all aspects of library operations in multiple offices to ensure that resources, services and solutions align with and support the business objectives of the firm. Key responsibilities include long-range strategic planning, interdisciplinary collection development in digital and print formats, budget development and control, cost recovery initiatives, personnel management and professional development, legal research instruction and introducing innovative solutions.
The Director of Research & Knowledge Services will work closely with regional office managers and department decision makers to identify, recommend, develop, implement and support cost-effective solutions for all legal and business information needs of the firm.
- Oversee library operations, materials and services in multiple offices
- Evaluate and compare content of print and online information products
- Monitor legal industry developments, innovative research technologies and vendor products
- Negotiate fixed-pricing arrangements with information providers and maintain constructive vendor relationships
- Provide strategic guidance to identify, aggregate and organize valuable internal data to allow information to be accessible and useable
- Develop guidelines and best practices for information collection and dissemination
- Supervise and conduct legal and non-legal research using traditional, online and internet resources
- Perform client development research
- Disseminate timely information by monitoring online and print sources
- Develop, manage and monitor department budget, and maintain financial controls for library expenditures
- Supervise personnel including staffing, training, coaching and establishing priorities
- Create orientation materials and guides for library use and provide onboarding for new lawyers, paralegals and office managers
- Provide training and assistance to library users and offer search support for external and internal databases
- Market library services and promote effective use of online databases
- Maintain library portal page
- Anticipate needs and recommend technologies that are most effective for the firm
Experience and Qualifications:
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited library or information science program
- A minimum of 5 years law firm library experience
- At least 3 years on a supervisory and management level
- Comprehensive knowledge of legal and non-legal materials in all formats
- Background in legal business processes and operations, management principles and budgeting techniques
- Familiarity with principles of data organization, taxonomy, end user searching
- Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Strong leadership and problem solving abilities
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong service orientation and desire and ability to be creative in providing services to improve productivity of attorneys
- Proactive approach to developing solutions in anticipation of and in response to firm information needs
- Experience with aggregating, organizing and searching internal and external information
- Proven ability to balance electronic and print collections for optimal resource access across the firm
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed and attentive to detail
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong understanding of the effect of labor and employment laws and regulations on the workplace
We offer a comprehensive and competitive compensation along with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. Please email, mail, or fax your cover letter, resume, salary history and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org; Human Resources, Fisher & Phillips LLP, 1075 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 3500, Atlanta, GA 30309, (404) 240-4268 fax.
Principals only; no calls please
Fisher & Phillips LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; religion; national origin; sex (including pregnancy); sexual orientation; gender identity and/or expression; age; disability; genetic information, citizenship status; military service obligations or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
For additional placement information, contact:
Dekalb County Law Library
Please send resumes to the addresses provided in the ads.