Research Librarian – Troutman Sanders LLP, Atlanta
Posted: Aug1, 2015
Experience Level: 5+ years
The Research Librarian shall provide research/ reference services and technical services support to partners and employees of the Firm.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES IN ATLANTA OFFICE:
- Bills research time and costs to client files as appropriate.
- Performs manual and online substantive and complex research; determines research strategy and best resources to provide accurate, cost effective, and timely research meeting information needs; analyzes results to determine additional research requirements.
- Determines appropriate sources and makes arrangements for timely and cost effective retrieval/borrowing.
- Performs electronic current awareness monitoring analyzing the results and providing appropriate information to attorneys.
Reviews and evaluates practice specific web sites. Evaluates and updates practice pages and internal library sites.
- Trains lawyers, paralegals, and staff in the use of information resources; develops, prepares and conducts presentations/orientations giving information and training on relevant resources; assists in preparing and updating guides, newsletters, intranet pages, etc. which assist in the use of library services and information resources.
- Assists with implementation of technological advancements in research or research aids; participates in the testing of new software, resources, etc.
- Participates in HELP DESK resolution of problems pertinent to the Library and library resources.
- Collaborates across the Library with peers on assignments and projects.
- Contributes ideas/suggestions for information/knowledge development/improvement and promotes resource/knowledge sharing within the Firm.
- Proactively seeks input from practice groups, attorneys, and paralegals to identify new services/resources of value.
- Identifies new or more cost effective ways to accomplish research tasks.
- Continues to develop skills, knowledge and ability to improve processes and procedures as well as to keep updated on trends and developments in the industry. This includes meeting annual personal development goals.
- Takes full ownership of issues/research and sees them through to resolution/completion.
- Promotes team atmosphere and positive library image.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Performs and oversees the technical services functions for the office.
- Oversees the coordination of work assigned to contract-based filing position, providing support and guidance when necessary.
- Performs and oversees the cataloging and/or processing of resources and integration into the collection in the office.
- Extensive knowledge of library research tools using diverse and changing applications.
- Strong background in Technical Services roles and functions, with emphasis of Filing processes.
- Strong working knowledge of SydneyPLUS or similar ILS.
- Cataloging experience.
- Ability to create research strategies.
- Ability to instruct in the use of a variety of print and electronic research resources and provide presentations related to information resources.
- Must possess analytical skills for analyzing content and exercising judgment regarding information sources and validity of information; ability to provide basic synthesis and packaging of research results.
- Demonstrated ability to keep current with new developments and adapt to change.
- Strong verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills with the ability to act as a resource for, provide customer service in a courteous manner to, and work effectively with diverse groups of people at various levels within the organization.
- Organizational skills sufficient to prioritize work and complete assignments accurately, either independently or as part of a team, under pressure of competing deadlines and with frequent interruptions, working from one's own initiative and/or following direction, policies, or procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to identify customer needs and to maintain and support a customer service philosophy.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
- Thorough conceptual and practical knowledge of the principles of library science.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BA or BS from an accredited college or university.
Completion of a Master of Library Science program at an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
J.D. or a second Master's degree in a subject useful to the business is desirable.
Five or more years of professional research experience within the Legal field preferred, or any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position is acceptable.
This position description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the job. The statements contained in the position description are not necessarily all-inclusive and additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as determined by business needs.
This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If interested in applying for this opportunity, please go to http://recruiting.troutmansanders.com/so-view.asp?id=804
and click "Apply Online
" at the bottom of the page. EOE
For additional placement information, contact:
Dekalb County Law Library
Please send resumes to the addresses provided in the ads.