MichALL Board Meeting

Meeting Minutes ††

April 13, 2012

 

Present: Amy Ash, Kineret Gable, Janet Ann Hedin, Mark Heinrich, Frances Krempasky, Yolanda Jones, Virginia Thomas

 

I. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by Virginia at 3:47 at Dickinson Wright, PLLC in Detroit. Amy Ash and Fran Krempasky attended the meeting via telephone conference call. ††

 

II. Consideration and Approval of Minutes

The minutes from the March 9, 2012 meeting were approved. Fran will send the minutes to Jessica to post to the MichALL website.

 

III.Presidentís Report : Virginia Thomas

†††††††† A.†††† Tax-Exempt Status

 

Virginia reported that Form 1025 was sent on March 13, 2012 and is

currently in the hands of the Determination Officer. Virginia telephoned them

for an update report. She will follow up with any information she receives.

She also filled out forms to get retrospective reinstatement to be an

association.

 

†††††††††† B.†† Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Status

 

††††††††††† ††††† Ann Baker at LARA was helpful to Virginia when she was working on

††††††††††††††††† MichALLís Michigan nonprofit status. Virginia requested all forms needed to

††††††††††††††††† be reinstated and has sent all forms in. Virginia hopes that the Federal issue is

††††††††††††††††† resolved by the May meeting, and that the Michigan 501C is resolved as well.

†††††††††† †††† †††††††††††††††††††

††† C.Chair, AALL Council of Chapter Presidents Election

†††††††††††

††† ††††††† †††††Holly Riccio was elected as Chair of the AALL Council of Chapter

†††††††††††††††† Presidents.Virginia sent congratulations to Holly.

 

†††††††††† D.Other

 

†††††††††††††† Virginia said she has some things to follow up on; to determine if

†††††††††††††† MichALL is a corporation or "nonprofit domestic corporation."

††††††††††††† ††She checked off "association" on the IRS form. She offered to

†††††††††††††† discuss this in more detail with the Determination Officer.

 

IV.†† Vice Presidentís Report

 

††††††† Annual Meeting Update

 

††† ††††Yolanda said that all speakers have been contacted regarding the Spring

††††††† Education Meeting.She will send out an email reminder about the meeting

††††††† because there is a deadline of April 16th for the hotel.Yolanda sent the Board

†††††† a draft of the email to look at. Janet noted that she also sent the flyer to CALL

††††††† members in case they wanted to attend our program. Yolanda is organizing a tour

††††††† for AALL Executive Board member Susan Lewis for her stay in Grand Rapids.

 

V.Treasurerís Report

 

††††† Kineret reported that she will update the statement balance after she checks the mail

††††† in the MichALL mailbox.

 

VI. Secretaryís Report


††††† No report.The Publicity Committee has no report.

 

VII.Past Presidentís Report

 

†††††† Janet stated that the newsletter was sent out to members. The next one will be

†††††† coming out after our May meeting.Janet reminded the Board to bring cameras to

†††††† the Spring meeting so that pictures can be taken for the website and the newsletter.

†††††† Janet also noted that it will be her last Board meeting. Jessica has agreed to write a

†††††† column about the MichALL website for the next newsletter. If anyone has any

†††††† articles for the next newsletter send them to Janet.Also, the receipt book is almost

†††††† done. Janet will be convening the Grants Committee shortly.

 

VIII. Other Discussion on material for the May Education meeting

 

†††††† Virginia said that all documents for the May meeting need to be to her by May 4th.

†††††† She will compile the packets for the meeting, evaluations, and membership renewal

†††††† forms. She'll also need the minutes from the 2011 Board meeting.

 

IX.Members At Large : Amy Ash and Mark Heinrich

 

†††††† A. Mark had no report.

††††† B. Amy reported that the Pro Bono Committee is in a holding pattern until

†††††††††† after the official presentation of the Solutions on Self Help Task Force is

†††††††††† completed.[Amyís report on The Bylaws Committee was put off to the end of the

†††††††††† meeting--see "D" below].

 

 

††††C. [Added agenda item: Discussion with Helen Levenson of the Membership

†††††††††† Committee]

 

††††††† ††††Helen joined the Board meeting via phone conference to discuss the MichALL

†††††† †††††membership form.Helen said she had a number of ideas for the membership

††††††††††† form:

 

††††††††††† -Misleading information regarding who to send form to, whenever there was a

†††††††††††† new Treasurer, renewals were sent to incorrect address; that has been taken

††††††††††† care of with MichALL's adoption of the UPS P.O. Box address

††††††††††† -Eliminating snail mail newsletter option on the form

††††††††††† -Listerv sign up will increase if we can add info to opt in to it on the

††††††††††† membership form. It would be an opportunity to subscribe more people

†††

††††††† ††††The Board discussed the listserv option. Helen currently maintains the ††

††††††††††† membership list and Jessica approves people for the listserv. Right now the

††††††††††† discussion list is for members only. Virginia suggested that we go through the

††††††††††† listserv list every year since it is a closed list and weed off those that are not

††††††††††† members.It was suggested that we review the website language about the

††††††††††† listserv.And also, for those on it that are not MichALL members, give

††††††††††† them a chance to join MichALL versus kicking them off the list.Virginia will

††††††††††† write a column about this for the next newsletter.

 

††††††† ††††The Board agreed that on the membership form:

 

-the "mail" newsletter line could be removed

-To let members select (with a "yes" or "no" box) if they wanted to be

††††††††††† added to the MichALL listserv.

†††††††††† -To add the dates of MichALL membership

 

††††††††††† For the membership dates, Kineret will check the IRS tax form dates and give

††††††††††† them to Helen. Helen will make changes to the membership form and send a

††††††††††† revised draft to the Board.

 

†††††† †††† The Board and Helen discussed creating a dues database so we can know when

††††††††††† membersí dues were paid.Instead of kicking off members from the listserv if

they don't pay dues we can give them an 18 month grace period. Janet ††††††

suggested that if they haven't paid by January 1st of the current membership

cycle, then they can be taken off the list.Helen suggested that the listserv be sent reminders that there's "still time to renewĒ as renewals near.

 

  1. Amy Ash reported on the Bylaws Committee revision to the draft. The Board

members were sent the changes in draft form to read before the meeting.The

Board went over each change made, Article by Article. Amy updated the

document as the Board agreed to changes in wording and content. One major change was to change the word "Constitution" to "Bylaws."

 

†††††† †††† The Board will include a draft of the Bylaw changes at the May meeting and

††††† ††††† discuss the changes at the Business meeting. Then the Board will ask for an email

vote of the membership to adopt the changes during the summer.

 

X.Other

 

††††† Amy Ash noted that the Board needs to vote on making Kathy Vance a Lifetime

†††††† MichALL member as she is retiring."Old business" and "New business" items on

†††††† the agenda were skipped due to time constraints.

 

XI. Meeting adjourned at 6:00††††††

 

 

 

Minutes respectfully submitted by: Fran Krempasky

May 1, 2012