MichAALL Board Meeting

Meeting Minutes ††

August 17, 2011

Revised version October 10, 2011

 

Present: Amy Ash, Kineret Gable, Janet Ann Hedin, Mark Heinrich, Frances Krempasky, Yolanda Jones, Virginia Thomas

 

I. The meeting was called to order by Virginia at 3:24 p.m. at Dickinson Wright, PLLC in Detroit. Amy Ash and Fran Krempasky attended the meeting via telephone conference call.

 

II.The minutes from the April 14, 2011 meeting were approved with one revision. Fran will revise the minutes and email them to Jessica to post to the MichALL website.

†††††††††††

III.†† Presidentís Report : Virginia Thomas

A.     Tax Exempt Status of MichALL

 

Virginia reported that MichALLís tax exempt status has been revoked.The status is in question because we have not filed a report to AALL for 3 years. However, if we fill out forms for tax exempt status now we can get it again, and it will be retroactive for the past 3 years.

There are financial gaps in the Treasurerís report over the years. Kineret, Janet, and Virginia are working on reconstructing reports. They are piecing together information found in MichALL archival files at Wayne State University, old treasurer reports that Janet has, along with membership lists. They hope to have information before the next Board meeting.

 

AALL has rules that chapters are obligated to follow. These rules should be included in our guidebook so it is available for members and to the Board. We can also create a calendar at the end of the year showing yearly important events that the Board needs to respond to.

 

B.     MichALL Web Site

 

AALL has changed their website software/platform. MichALLís current web master, Jessica, has taken a new job, but has confirmed that she can continue to work on the MichALL website. Amy will send Jessicaís new contact info in an email to Virginia.

 

 

 

††††††††††† C. New AALL Chapter Listserv Procedures

 

Virginia reported that AALL is requiring all chapters to adopt a website copyright statement and discussion forum (listserv) rules by August 31st.AALL has provides some sample language for both which the chapters can adopt or modify.

 

In addition to posting both a copyright policy and discussion list policy to our chapter website, AALL is requiring chapters to close their listservs by August 31st.Chapter discussion lists can no longer have an open subscription policy (where anyone can join).

We have three (closed) options to choose from:
Private:a listserv that prevents anyone from joining immediately.When a person attempts to join, the List Administrator will receive an email notice, which contains instructions on how to approve that person via email.They may also approve people via the web interface.
Closed:a listserv that prevents anyone from joining.The List Administrator must manually add people to the list.

Password Protected:a listserv that allows anyone to join if they know the password.If they do not know the password, they are automatically rejected.

 

The Board voted unanimously to select the Private Listserv option.Virginia will communicate that choice to Christopher Siwa at AALL.

Jessica Fields will serve as MichALLís List Administrator and web master.

 

†††††††† D.†††† MichALL Committee Appointments

††††††

††††††††††† ††††† Janet discussed the organization of MichALL Committees, including the

††††††††††††††††† Newsletter, Pro Bono, and Membership Committees.Janet said

††††††††††††††††† the committee appointment procedure is for the President to appoint

†††††††††††††††† Committee chairs and any non-Board members. Janet said that
††††††††††††††††† the Education Committee is chaired by the MichALL President-Elect.

††††††††††††††††† The Nominations Committee includes representation from different

††††††††††††††††† types of libraries and usually we try and nominate members to run for

††††††††††††††††† the Board from various library groups (academic, firm, etc.) Virginia and

†††††††††††††††† Janet will work on this together.

 

††††††††††††††††† Virginia asked if Board members would like to be liaisons to Chairs of

††††††††††††††††† MichALL Committees, Amy and Fran would be happy to be liaisons.

 

 

 

 

 

IV.†† Vice Presidentís Report

 

††††††††††† A.†† Fall Dinner Meeting

 

†† †††††††† †††††††Yolanda said that the Gandy Dancer in Ann Arbor was suggested as

††††††††††††††††††† a possibility for the fall dinner. Joe Hodnicki, editor of the Law\

†††††††††††††††††† Librarian Blog, will be our speaker. Janet reminded us that MichALL
††††††††††††††††††† contributes some money to offset cost of the memberís dinners.

 

†††††††††††† B.†† Spring 2012 Meeting

 

††††††††††† ††††††† Yolanda is looking at a May 2012 date for the spring meeting. The

location is the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids. We can get
a price of $200, which is $400 below the usual cost. Since the location is
a federal building, they do not allow cash to be exchanged, so MichALL
members will need to register in advance and pay in advance.

 

††††††††††††††††† ††Virginia noted that this might be a good meeting to do some legislative
†††††††† †† †††††††††advocacy training. Janet said that the Michigan State Bar is working

†††††††† with advocacy training along with authentication, so we may not want
†††††††† to overlap with that. However, local Michigan advocacy might be an
†††††††† alternative.

 

†††††††††† ††††††††† Kineret is the booking contact. It might be good to have the meeting

††††††††††††††††††††† on a Friday since it is in Grand Rapids. Fran noted that it might be

††††††††††††††††††††† a good idea to include a presentation that might also reach the††

††††††††††††††††††††† MichALL members that are more technical service oriented.Mark

††††††††††††††††††††† suggested the topic of e-resources for a presentation. There could be an

††††††††††††††††††††† afternoon networking session or breakouts on various topics related to

††††††† ††††††††††††††e-resources, including cataloging, linking issues, and issues with
††††††††††††††††††††† license agreements.

 

††††††††††††††††††††† It was suggested that AALL might have CEUís available for us to

bring in a presenter in for this.Ruth at MCLS might know of someone
††††††††† who can discuss e-books, DALNET may give out grants for presenters.

Fran will check with Ruth about possible speakers.Kineret will also
††††††††† help on the planning of this event.

 

††††††††††††††††††††† A tentative date was scheduled for the spring education event; May

††††††††††††††††††††† 18, 2012.

 

†††††††††††††††††††† UPDATE on Gandy Dancer:

††††††††††† †††††††† Tentative date: Friday, October 14th.Virginia will also donate to the

†††††††††††††††††††† speaker, a free stay at the Inn at Ferry Street.

 

†††††††††††

C.†††† MichALL Program Proposal(s) for 2012 AALL Annual Meeting

 

††††††††††† †††††††† MichALL program proposals are due September 15, 2011 for AALL.

††††††††††† †††††††† Yolanda will send out info on submitting ideas to AALL programming

††††††††††† †††††††Forum to MichALL listserv.

 

†††††††††††††††††††† Janet said that MichALL has a scholarship program (VIP

†††††††† programming), so that MichALL could hold at event at AALL and

†††††††† AALL will pay for it. Fran and Janet will work on. It is due Sept. 15th.

 

†††††††† Other:

 

†††††††† Regarding MichALL Insurance, Janet said that the cost is $1 per

††††††† member. Once registration numbers are in, Kineret would send out the
†††††††††††††††††††† check.

 

D.††† AALL Council of Chapter Presidentís Training Program Other

 

†††††††† Yolanda has signed up to be a part of the Chapter Presidentís Training

†††††††† Program and the virtual/webinar treasurer training.

 

V.Treasurerís Report

 

Kineret reported that our balance is $4,639.79.Kineret will send a full report

via email.

 

VI.Secretaryís Report


†††††††† No report.

 

VII. Past Presidentís Report

††††

†††††††† Janet sent out our MichALL Chapter report, she urged everyone to read it.

†††††††† She needs to file it with AALL. Janet procured a MichALL chapter table at

†††††††† AALL this year and purchased a $25 Amazon gift card for the drawing.

 

†††††††† Janet also gave out info on the MichALL stationery and shared an example.

†††††††† Board members can now begin using it.

 

VIII. Members At Large : Amy Ash and Mark Heinrich

 

†††††††† No report.

 

 

 

[Note: Minutes from this point forward taken by Yolanda Jones, Fran needed to

leave the meeting].

 

IX.Old Business

None

 

X.New Business

 

†††† †††††† A.Record Keeping Policies and Documentation

†††† The Board will investigate standardized recordkeeping policy and
††††† establish an archive. Virginia will find out if a digital repository can be
††††† made available at Wayne State. It was suggested that there may be space
††††† on AALL communities but the consensus was that we still need a private
††††† archive. Several members volunteered document scanning if needed.

††††† ††††† B.Audit/Guidelines for duties and responsibilities Manual

††††† Mark will investigate bringing in an auditor at a reasonable rate to help

††††† standardize the organization's financial practices and provide a baseline

††††† for future treasurers.

††††† ††††††C.Elections

††††† Discussion moved to the next meeting.

†††††

Next meeting Friday September 9th at 3pm

 

 

Meeting was adjourned.

 

Minutes

Respectfully submitted by:

Fran Krempasky and Yolanda Jones

September 14, 2011†††

 

Revised: October 10, 2011 by Fran Krempasky