Sr. Research and Reference Specialist; Wilmerhale; Palo Alto
Wilmerhale is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Research and Reference Specialist in our Palo Alto office.
- Provides expert research and reference assistance in support of the various legal and administrative departments throughout the firm. Assists in regular outreach to the
practice by providing training, consultative support, and informational updates in the areas of print and electronic research. Works with Managing Director, Director and Manager on
IS Information and Research Services projects.
- Works with the Manager, Research & Reference Services to design, deliver and evolve a robust, value-added research function to the Firm.
- Provides expert research and reference assistance to attorneys in all practice areas in a timely and effective manner using various print and electronic resources. Where
applicable, provides in-depth analysis and summarization of results. Bills time to client/matters as appropriate.
- Provides consultative research and reference support advising lawyers on the optimal strategy and source selection to obtain most authoritative and cost effective
results. Bills time to client/matters as appropriate.
- Provides consultative research support advising lawyers on the optimal strategy and approach to research analysis.
- Provides expert reference assistance to support the functions of the various administrative departments of the firm including, but not limited to, Business
Development and New Business/Conflicts.
- Assists in the development of new research and reference offerings and outreach, including but not limited to, bulletins, department and practice group presentations,
and direct client services.
- Mentors and trains more junior staff to provide expert research and reference support.
- Provides reference desk coverage as assigned and follows internal procedures for the handling of requests as set by the Director and Manager, Research & Reference Services.
- Maintains expert working knowledge of the library collections, online database resources, interlibrary loan availability, document delivery, and other resources as
appropriate. Demonstrates an expert level of proficiency in primary database usage, search strategy and syntax, and licensing restrictions.
- Participates in resource evaluation projects including pilots of new services, comparisons of resources, and preparation of related evaluative memos.
- Assigned to focus on particular areas of the practice, administrative departments, subject or topic areas as required by the Manager, Research & Reference Services, to
meet the needs of the Firm.
- Works with Manager, Research & Reference Services to assist in the preparation of and/or delivery of relevant orientation and training programs. Assist in the
gathering of materials and drafting or editing of handouts to support the program.
- Works with Manager, Research & Reference Services to support the development and maintenance of intranet reference collections. Assists with link checking, collection
development, and integration of subject-specific resources into larger firm portal.
- Assists Manager, Library & External Information Services and Manager, Research & Reference Services in developing both the paper and electronic resources collections. Aids
Manager in the evaluation of new and existing research tools and makes recommendations for purchase or renewal or resources.
- Works with Managing Director, Director, and Managers on departmental projects and initiatives as requested.
- Contributes to the firm's Service Excellence initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Displays professionalism, quality service and a
"can do" attitude to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person.
- Expert knowledge of print and digital legal and business resources and research techniques. Advanced knowledge of legal and business electronic resources and databases,
and in research and retrieval strategies.
- Ability to work quickly, and with great attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- BA/BS required.
- JD, MLS or MLIS required.
Candidates may apply by visiting out website at: http://www.wilmerhalecareers.com/