Head Law Librarian; Musick, Peeler & Garrett LLP; Los Angeles
Downtown Los Angeles law firm has an opening for a Head Librarian. Position is full-time, Monday through Friday, with hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Prior experience working in a law firm environment is A MUST.
- MLS or JD from accredited library or law school. Significant graduate-level coursework toward such a degree or equivalent education and experience working in a law firm environment. Minimum five years’ experience working in a
law firm library.
- Experience with online searches through Lexis, Westlaw, PACER and Superior Courts is required. Background with online searches using Dun & Bradstreet, Accurint, Practical Law.com, and other electronic legal databases is also preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal information sources, research methodologies, and related technologies, as well as competence in delivering legal research services and knowledge of legal bibliography.
- Conducts library orientation for attorneys and paralegals that includes individualized instruction to attorneys on using various research programs. Coordinate with vendors for training when necessary. Assign login and password
information to attorneys.
- Able to lift/move items weighing up to 50 lbs. such as boxes containing file materials and/or heavy books.
- Administers library policies, procedures and services. Evaluates and implements library systems, both manual and automated. Ensures organization of library collection and other firm information resources to promote efficient use
by attorneys and staff. Handles all book ordering and coordinates with loose-leaf filing service for book updates.
- Evaluates and monitors acquisitions of cost-effective use of non-traditional materials such as online and eLibrary services, as well as traditional hard copy materials to meet the needs of all practice areas within the firm.
Negotiates library contracts with vendors for maintenance agreement and online services.
- Participates in collection development including evaluation of new databases and print materials. Analyzes library space and facility requirements and report needs to Management. Develops a library budget and closely monitors
all library related expenses. Facilitates processing of all library invoices for payment.
- Performs and/or supervises reference and research services including manual and online searching using firm resources and other outside libraries, if necessary.
- Supervision of Library Clerk with regard to handling mail check-in, routing, filing and shelving; cataloging, library circulation system and processing of library materials. Responsible for library organization.
Excellent benefits package that includes vacation, sick leave, paid medical/dental/vision, 401(k), etc.
Please visit www.musickpeeler.com for more detailed information about our firm. You may apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to (213) 624-1376..
NO PHONE CALLS/PRINCIPALS ONLY PLEASE EOE