Research Librarian; Bryan Cave LLP; Santa Monica
The Research Librarian provides reference and research services to lawyers and staff locally as well as other offices as needed. This position participates in the training of new lawyers and paralegals on library and research services, including the use of new technologies or upgraded versions of existing services. The Research Librarian ensures the highest quality and level of service is provided by the Firmwide reference request email service. This position participates in orientation programs for library users, assists the Manager in marketing library and research services and actively participates in one or more Firm-wide library and research services teams. This position is also responsible for various library maintenance tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides research support to lawyers, staff and clients through an appropriate
combination of traditional sources and emerging technologies.
- Provides a wide variety of in-depth as well as quick reference research services for
lawyers and staff utilizing both electronic and print resources.
- Participates in planning and implementation of training programs for lawyers and staff
to promote the effective use of library resources, and creates users' guides to support this
effort as needed.
- Monitors and responds to Firmwide reference request email service as scheduled,
coordinates this effort with other reference staff Firmwide and enters requests and
responses utilizing the reference request database.
- Participates in development of library portion of eCave2 to various extents depending
on assigned tasks.
- Participates in creation and maintenance of online library newsletters.
- Handles all phases of interlibrary loan and document retrieval service in CA offices.
- Stays current on research technologies by keeping up with professional literature and
other appropriate means.
- Bills for time as appropriate.
- Participates in Firmwide teleconferences with library and research services staff.
- Participates as a team member within the Public Services team and/or subcommittees.
- Handles day to day maintenance tasks such as processing mail, checking in and routing
newsletters, shelving books, etc.
- Attends professional library association meetings as budget allows.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including both Firmwide and local library projects.
Essential Job Specifications/Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to deal professionally and possess demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability and commitment to interact effectively with a diverse clientele both internally and externally.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in an organized manner and to prioritize and complete projects rapidly and efficiently, yet thoroughly.
- Demonstrated expertise in legal and corporate research techniques using both print and
- Ability to evaluate websites and electronic research resources from substantive and technical
- Working knowledge of relevant research databases.
- Demonstrated customer service orientation and proactive creative approach to marketing
library and research services.
- Clear, concise and effective verbal and written communication skills, including demonstrated
ability to present to individuals and groups.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, often with coworkers in other offices.
- Proven success as a service-oriented, proactive, flexible, adaptable, responsible and detail
- Proven experience with automated library systems.
- Requires the ability to regularly report to work on the days and times scheduled.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- ALA Masters Degree, two years law library experience strongly preferred.
To apply, go to: https://apply.ecave.net/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx?FilterREID=51&FilterJobCategoryID=16&FilterJobID=500