Public Services Librarian; Thomas Jefferson School of Law; San Diego
JOB TITLE: Public Services Librarian
REPORTS TO: Associate Library Director for Public Services
POSITION SUPERVISES: Student Assistants
POSITION STATUS: Exempt
Provides instruction and reference services and direct assistance to library patrons in locating, retrieving, and using information under the direction of the Associate Director for Public Services and the Library Director.
MINIMIM LEVEL OF EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited library school, or J.D. with minimum of one year’s full time experience in a law library.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee collection and analysis of electronic usage statistics.
- Oversee interlibrary loan lending requested by TJSL faculty and students.
- Provide reference services.
- Assist Associate Library Director for Public Services to fulfill all Public Services functions.
- Coordinate the library’s social media presence.
- Teach electronic and print legal research classes to students, faculty and alumni.
- Actively pursue training in legal reference skills.
- Actively pursue professional growth through continuing education and participation in professional organizations and activities.
- Participate in collection development.
- Maintain LibGuides.
- Create and maintain video tutorials.
- Design and distribute library newsletter.
- Perform URL maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to use Innovative’s Millennium circulation module in a manner appropriate to this position.
- Knowledge of library‘s legal research databases, resources and tools.
- Computer skills necessary to prepare records, reports, and statistics.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Exercise appropriate judgment; carry out established policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to interact with students, staff, faculty, and other library patrons in a service-oriented manner.
- Able to select, train, supervise, and evaluate part-time student library assistants.
- Able to maintain self-control in tense interpersonal situations.
- Maintain a positive service attitude.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Innovative’s Millennium Integrated Library System, and other standard office and library hardware and software.
Have the ability to work at a computer station for extended periods of time taking sensible breaks to relieve tension and varying tasks whenever possible. Have the ability to lift 25 lbs.
Have the ability to push a loaded book truck or to get help when the book truck is extremely heavy. Have the ability to use a stepstool to reach 90” high shelves. Work in an environment that may contain dust and/or mold.
40 hours per week; schedule may vary depending upon the library’s needs. Some nights and weekends will be required.
TO APPLY: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and list of references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.