Evening Reference Librarian; Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP; Los Angeles
The Los Angeles office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is seeking an Evening Reference Librarian. This position is responsible for researching and providing legal, corporate and general reference information
to attorneys and staff in all practice areas of the Firm. The evening librarian ensures continuity of Library operations when the supervisor is absent, and the ideal candidate prioritizes a positive, customer-service
approach. Duties include participating in library orientation programs and contributing to new business alert services. This individual also works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to develop and maintain practice area websites.
- Supports research and Knowledge Management initiatives for Firm attorneys and staff across the globe.
- Performs ready reference and in-depth research on legal, corporate and other topics.
- Distills research results into summary reports of findings.
- Works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to maintain, update and select content for practice area websites.
- Provides current awareness by creating alerts, practice area newsletters and other updates tailored to the needs of the Firm.
- Contributes to new business alert programs that identify matters of interest to existing and potential clients.
- Participates in training and orientation for attorneys and staff, and educates Firm personnel about library resources.
- Helps develop and organize print and electronic information materials, and recommends new, beneficial sources.
- Ensures continuity of Library operations during supervisor absences.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER JOB-RELATED COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of legal and corporate information sources.
- Knowledge of computer databases including but not limited to Lexis Advance, WestlawNext, PACER, Accurint, HeinOnline, Bloomberg BNA, Thomson One and Capital IQ.
- Knowledge of relevant firm software programs (e.g. Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new applications.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to multitask and meet competing deadlines in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Prioritizes a highly positive, customer-service approach.
- Flexibility to adjust hours and to work additional hours as necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Master's Degree in Library Science.
- Minimum two years of experience in a law firm and/or corporate library.
- Experience or educational background in Knowledge Management and the application of information technology to knowledge sharing highly preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing training or instructional programs preferred.
Job applicants may apply by going directly to: http://www.skadden.com/career/staff/openings/evening-reference-librarian-0
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including,
but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, citizenship, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status,
genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation),
any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or stalking. EEO is the Law