Reference Librarian; Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP; Los Angeles
The Los Angeles office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is seeking a Reference Librarian. This position is responsible for researching and providing legal, corporate and general reference information to
attorneys and staff in all practice areas of the Firm. Duties include coordinating library orientation programs and new business alert services. This individual also works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to add content
to practice area websites. The ideal candidate possesses experience implementing instructional programs and prioritizes a positive, customer-service approach.
- Supports research and Knowledge Management initiatives for Firm attorneys and staff across the globe.
- Performs ready reference and in-depth research on legal, corporate and other topics using print and online resources.
- Uses question and answer skills to conduct effective reference interviews.
- Distills research results into summary reports of findings.
- Plans and implements library training and outreach programs for attorneys and support staff.
- Uses ID management programs to establish and maintain database accounts for attorneys and support staff.
- Coordinates new business alert services that identify matters of interest to existing and potential clients.
- Provides current awareness by creating alerts, practice area newsletters and other updates tailored to the needs of the Firm.
- Works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to maintain and update practice area websites.
- Helps develop and organize print and online information materials, and recommends new, beneficial sources.
- Develops research skills using print and online sources, incorporating new technologies.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Ensures continuity of Library operations during supervisor absences.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER JOB-RELATED COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of legal, corporate and securities information sources.
- Knowledge of computer databases including but not limited to Lexis Advance, WestlawNext, PACER, Accurint, HeinOnline, Bloomberg BNA and Capital IQ.
- Knowledge of relevant firm software programs (e.g. Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new applications.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and meet competing deadlines in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters, maintain confidentiality and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates a courteous and professional demeanor.
- Prioritizes a highly positive, customer-service approach.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and additional hours as necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Master's Degree in Library Science.
- Minimum one year of experience conducting research in a legal setting, preferably in a law firm environment.
- Experience developing and implementing training or instructional programs.
- Experience with corporate, business and securities research preferred.
- Experience or educational background in Knowledge Management and the application of information technology to knowledge sharing preferred.
For more information, and to apply, go to: http://www.skadden.com/career/staff/openings/reference-librarian-day
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including,
but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, citizenship, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender
status, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable
accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or stalking.
EEO is the Law