Library Assistant; Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP; Century City
Provides research services to lawyers and staff Firmwide. Handles Library technical services Firmwide.
Reports to the Head Librarian.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides a wide variety of in-depth as well as general reference research services for lawyers and staff utilizing both electronic and print resources Firmwide.
- Directs Library users to appropriate electronic and print resources for answering research requests.
- Provides training to attorneys and staff on Library's Intranet resource pages.
- Maintains the Library's serials database, Online Public Access Catalog and Intranet resource pages.
- Stays current on research technologies by keeping up with professional literature and other appropriate means.
- Bills for time as appropriate.
- Handles day to day maintenance tasks such as processing mail, circulating newsletters, shelving and filing.
- Handles the Library's print collection maintenance, including shelf reading, book shifting and ordering missing updates and supplements.
- Works with vendors in resolving issues related to print and online subscriptions.
- Other duties as assigned, including administrative projects and varied writing and editing assignments.
- Must possess demonstrated verbal, written and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel within the law firm and with clients, vendors and others outside the firm.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, often with other Library staff and coworkers in all offices.
- Must be organized with the ability to accurately perform routine tasks requiring close attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and to prioritize and complete projects in a thorough and timely manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of general and legal research techniques using both print and electronic resources.
- Demonstrate strong customer service orientation and proactive creative approach to marketing library and research services.
- Ability to evaluate websites and electronic research resources from substantive and technical perspectives.
- Ability to stretch, stoop and bend to reach materials on shelves. Ability to lift/move items, such as books and boxes, weighing up to 50 pounds. Ability to push loaded book carts weighing up to 75 pounds.
Education and/or Experience:
This is a full time position
BA/BS required, Master’s Degree in Library or related field preferred, and two years law library experience preferred.
Experience with Lexis, Westlaw and other online resources are beneficial.
Please send your resume to JXK@JMBM.com.