Reference Librarian (Temporary); Alston & Bird; Los Angeles
At Alston & Bird, our people trust the people they work for, take pride in what they do, enjoy the people they work with, and serve the communities in which they live. Our environment has been praised as one of the most open and receptive in the United States, not only among law firms, but also among all businesses. Alston & Bird has been ranked by FORTUNE magazine as one of the "100 Best Companies to work for" for 14 years in a row. Alston & Bird LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in relation to our recruiting, hiring, and promoting practices.
POSITION: Reference Librarian, Temporary
LOCATION: Los Angeles
Professional position that provides both legal and non-legal research and reference assistance to all attorneys and staff for client-generated projects and Firm projects. Firm projects include, but are not limited to, marketing research, seminar development, pro-bono work, preparation of published material, and professional development.
SKILLS NEEDED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- Conducts research projects as requested by attorneys and staff.
- Provides research consultation to attorneys and staff.
- Assists in location of specific material including but not limited to case law, statutory law, regulations, legislative history, secondary sources, directories, periodicals and business information.
- Trains attorneys and staff in use of library materials such a loose-leaf services, digests, etc.
- Conducts online research using multiple resources including but not limited to LexisNexis, Westlaw, Westlaw Business, Westlaw Monitor Suite, Westlaw Court Express, Courtlink, Pacer, Dialog, Delphion, Bloomberg, Hoovers and Dun & Bradstreet,
- Cite-checks briefs, memoranda, articles, seminar material, etc. for proper citation form, status of law and accuracy of quotations.
- Provides current awareness services on specific subjects as requested by attorneys and staff.
- Provides direct research service to clients as requested by attorneys.
- Facilitates the indoctrination of new attorneys and staff and summer associates into Firm library procedures, services and resources.
- Provides special training and library assistance to summer associates.
- Undertakes specific projects as directed by the Director of Library Services. (Examples: annual updating of all Georgia County zoning laws; developing a library brochure, producing the library monthly newsletter; evaluating a new product; etc.)
- Maintains ongoing professional development through review of legal and library publications, attending professional association seminars and meetings, receiving regular training from vendors.
- Promotes library public relations by maintaining a professional, service-oriented attitude and by keeping current on the needs and trends of the Firm.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Extensive knowledge of legal and non-legal resources
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to use online services
- Ability to set priorities and make appropriate judgments
- Ability to work under pressure
Master of Library Science required
Qualified candidates, please visit http://www.alston.com/careers to submit your application for this position.
The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
Alston & Bird is not currently accepting resumes from agencies for this position. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Alston & Bird hires the candidate.
Follow us on Twitter at alstonbirdllp or become a Fan of Alston & Bird LLP on Facebook!