Reference and Faculty Services Librarian
The George Mason University Law Library, located on the Arlington, Va., campus, invites applicants for the position of Reference and Faculty Services Librarian.
Purpose of the Position:
Responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing all library services to faculty; as well as providing professional library services to students, staff, and public patrons. Duties include reference and research services, law student instruction, management of the faculty liaison program, and other duties as assigned.
1. Provide general reference services by e-mail, telephone, and in person to faculty, students, staff, alumni, attorneys, and other public patrons.
2. Oversee and coordinate liaison services to faculty, adjunct faculty, and law reviews.
3. Provide liaison services to designated faculty and adjunct faculty members.
4. Serve as coordinator of the George Mason University School of Law (GMUSL) Law and Economics Research Paper Series on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN). Submit faculty research papers to SSRN for online publication and distribution, monitor usage statistics associated with faculty publications, and post original papers to the GMUSL Web site.
5. Post course syllabi, assignments, and related materials for full-time and adjunct faculty on the GMUSL Web site prior to each semester and assist them in the use of the TWEN course management system.
6. Assist with legal instruction in the LRWA (Legal Research, Writing and Analysis) program including instruction in both print and electronic resources under the direction of the Head of Reference and Instructional Services. Lecture in selected law school classes each semester on the use of legal and historical electronic databases and materials related to their class studies.
7. Participate in collection development including reviewing both print and electronic materials for selection.
8. Assist faculty and staff users in obtaining database passwords, and oversee and monitor password lists to keep them current.
9. Serve as Law School representative to the Virginia Law Libraries Digital Collections Consortium for the digitization of the VA Supreme Court records and briefs; maintain the law school’s databases of print and electronic records and briefs.
10. Conduct tours of the Law Library for paralegal classes and prospective new faculty.
11. Participate in professional development and serve on library and university committees.
12. Perform other duties as required.
This position reports to the Head of Reference and Instructional Services.
J.D. from an American Bar Association (ABA)-accredited law school and expected completion of a MLS or equivalent from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited library school within one year; thorough knowledge of legal bibliography both in print and electronic formats; academic law library experience providing services to law faculty; relevant teaching experience; strong service orientation; and organizational abilities.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will close on June 13, 2013.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA814z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by June 13, 2013; complete and submit the online faculty application; and upload a cover letter addressed to Search Committee, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. AA/EOE