SNELLA's Obiter Dicta
The Electronic Edition
President's Message Annual Dinner Board Minutes Revised Scholarship Guidelines
The annual dinner is approaching quickly and I'll be adding Past to the title of President very soon. I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am for all the help I received this year. My thanks go out to the officers, chairs, and members who attended board meetings, organized events, and provided advice and feedback whenever I had questions.
Two SNELLA programs were well received this spring. The SNELLA Legal Research Course was once again a success due to the efforts of its instructors, Lawrence Cheeseman, Claudia Jalowka, Janet Zigatdo, and Lawson Ward. The course will soon be revamped, and I'm sure the new incarnation will be as successful as its predecessor.
The spring program on negotiating electronic license agreements provided practical advice and valuable insight concerning the negotiating process. The guest speaker for the program was Princeton University librarian Duncan E. Alford. Participating as panel speakers were Celeste Feather, Associate Librarian for Library Services, University of Connecticut School of Law Library; Sara Zagorski, Director of Library Services, Day, Berry & Howard LLP; and Denise Jernigan, Law/Legislative Reference Unit Head, Connecticut State Library. Thank you to all the participants for sharing their knowledge and experience.
I have to mention that all of SNELLA's programs this past year included SNELLA members as featured speakers. This type of member participation demonstrates SNELLA's viability by highlighting the wealth of expertise we have within our organization. Search engines get better. Knowledge, content, and information systems improve. But the most vital library resource still is and will remain the librarian.
Tuesday, June 3rd
Angelo's on Main at Rockledge
289 South Main St., West Hartford
6:00 Cash Bar – 7:00 Dinner
1. Pasta Primavara…Pasta tossed with fresh vegetables in a basil pesto.
2. Fresh Baked Scrod …Scrod with a seasoned herbed breadcrumb topping, served with rice and seasonal vegetables.
3. Chicken Marsala…Breast of chicken sautéed with roasted mushrooms, shallots, and marsala wine, served with rice and seasonal vegetables.
(house salad, coffee, tea, dessert included)
Send your entrée choice and check before May 28th to:
Connecticut Judicial Branch Law Library
Courthouse, 69 Brooklyn Street
Rockville, CT 06066
Please make your check payable to SNELLA.
____ Pasta Primavara - $24.00
____ Fresh Baked Scrod - $28.00
____ Chicken Marsala - $28.00
Angelo's on Main at Rockledge is 1/2 mile off I-84's Exit 41. You will pass the entrance to the Rockledge Golf course and the next left will be Angelo's
Take I-91 (or 15 to 91) North to Route 9 North to I-84 East. Take I-84 East to Exit 41 South Main Street, West Hartford. Take a Left (North) - Angelo's on Main at Rockledge will be 1/2 mile on the left.
Take I-91 South to I-84 West to Exit 41 South Main Street, West Hartford. Take a Right (North) - Angelo's on Main at Rockledge will be 1/2 mile on the left.
Education Committee: Claudia Jalowka
Placement Committee: Janet Zigadto
Publications Committee: Lawrence Cheeseman
Public Relations Chair: Steve Mirsky
Scholarship Committee: Sandee Molden
Technology Committee: Mary Scott
Public Relations/ CBA Liaison/ AALL Relations Liaison: Dottie McCaughtry
Monday, April 14, 2003
Quinnipiac University, Hamden
Present: Christopher Roy, Susan Scoville, Claudia Jalowka, Dottie McCaughtry, Sandee Molden
Welcome and Call to Order
Minutes of Last Meeting – read and approved
Treasurer’s Report – Savings account balance is $5197.47. Checking account balance is $1839.50.
Committee Reports – Scholarship and Education Committee business was discussed under the New Business.
SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND LAW LIBRARIANS' ASSOCIATION
SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE GUIDELINES
In order to promote continuing education among its members, the Southern New England Law Librarians' Association will maintain a Scholarship Fund. From the resources of that fund, the Association will award scholarships to its members to help make possible attendance at meetings and institutes which entail a registration fee. All members are encouraged to apply.
1. The applicant must be a current member of SNELLA, with current year's dues paid, at the time the application is made.
2. Current Scholarship Committee members will be ineligible to receive awards during tenure.
3. Scholarships will be considered for those educational meetings of which SNELLA is a sponsor or co-sponsor, for the annual meeting of the American Association of Law Libraries, and for institutes of continuing legal or library science education sponsored by professional associations or educational institutions.
4. One scholarship may be awarded for the annual meeting of AALL. Two scholarships may be awarded for institutes and/or SNELLA sponsored or co-sponsored programs every six months. The amount of the scholarship to institutes will be at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, in consultation with the Treasurer of the Association. Those amounts awarded may vary, reflecting the registration fee, location, and length of the meeting. No award shall exceed $500.00.
Under extenuating circumstances one institute scholarship award may be applied to a second AALL award in any given year.
5. The first category of award to be considered will be a scholarship(s) to those educational programs of which SNELLA is a sponsor or co-sponsor. No member will receive an award in this category more frequently than every third year.
6. The second category of award to be considered will be a scholarship(s) to institutes of continuing legal or library science education sponsored by professional or educational institutions. No member will receive an award in this category more frequently than every third year.
7. The third category of award to be considered will be a scholarship for the annual meeting of the American Association of Law Libraries. No member will receive an award in this category more frequently than every third year.
8. While no member will receive an award in each category more frequently than every third year, this restriction will apply separately to each category.
9. Applicants must complete the standard SNELLA Scholarship application. The application must be received by the Chairman of the Scholarship Committee one month prior to the registration date for institutes and SNELLA sponsored or co-sponsored programs. The application must be received two months prior to the earliest deadline registration date for the annual AALL meeting.
10. In selecting the award recipients, the Committee will consider the following factors:
a) officer, board member, committee chairman or member, speaker or other member activity in organizations such as AALL, SIS, LLNE, SNELLA, or other law librarian organizations.
b) lack of financial assistance by employer
c) individuals new to SNELLA and/or law librarianship
d) demonstrated commitment to SNELLA and/or law librarianship
e) relevance of or expressed interest in the particular subject of meeting
11. Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received a scholarship.
12. If for any reason an award cannot be used as requested, or funds subsequently become available from recipient's employer, the award (or the unused portion thereof) will he returned to the Treasurer of SNELLA.
13. At the end of each year, the scholarship award program will be reassessed.
Dated: December, 1990;
Amended: October, 1992;
Amended: February, 1994.
Amended: April, 2003.
Return to Top