To build a grassroots network that recruits, trains, and motivates SNELLA members to use their knowledge, expertise, and political power to influence legislation affecting libraries and information policy
How We Accomplish Our Mission
- Build coalitions outside the chapter organization by enlisting other groups in a common cause
- Track state legislation and governmental activities affecting libraries and information policy such as open access to government information, freedom of information, privacy, State depository library programs, copyright, censorship, privacy of library users
- Inform members via SNELLA Blog or listserv on legislative issues.
- Work with the AALL Government Relations Committee (GRC) and the AALL Government Relations Office (GRO) to monitor federal legislation or regulatory activity and other issues national in scope, including participating on the AALL Advocacy Listserv <http://www.aallnet.org/aallwash/aalladvocsubscribe.asp> and developing ongoing personal relationships with public officials (national, state, local).
- Sponsor programs at chapter meetings involving government affairs issues, including participation by elected officials. Identify members to testify before boards, commissions and committees regarding library issues.