Electronic Services and Reference Librarian - St. Mary's University Law Library
St. Mary's University Law Library is pleased to announce an opening for the position of Electronic Services and Reference Librarian, available immediately. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis. The position will remain open until filled.
This position is a University tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor. The tenure is within the University, not the law school.
St. Mary’s is the oldest Catholic university in the Southwest, and continues to advocate the Marianist mission of academic excellence and servant leadership. Founded in 1852 by the Society of Mary (Marianists), St. Mary’s is a comprehensive Catholic and Marianist university with a strong tradition of integrating liberal arts with professional studies. St. Mary’s enrolls approximately 4,000 students in a diverse university with five schools, more than 40 academic programs including Ph.D. and J.D. programs, and numerous pre-professional programs.
The Electronic Services and Reference Librarian will evaluate, select, and manage electronic information products and resources; develop and maintain the library’s Institutional Repository; provide reference service, research assistance and instruction to law students, law faculty and other users; teach students and faculty on how to use databases and digital resources; maintain the library’s website and digital collections; conduct general reference; serve as the library’s liaison with information system providers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend electronic information products, audio/visual items, and other electronic resources for purchase or subscription; organize and maintain such products and resources once acquired.
- Coordinate trial periods for evaluating electronic information products and databases.
- Review and manage licensing agreements for electronic and digital information products acquired by the library.
- Promote the use of electronic information products and resources to law students and others.
- Create and manage the contents of the library’s Web site, and develop features to make the website dynamic, professional, and user-friendly.
- Develop and maintain the library’s Institutional Repository, and plan and manage digitization projects of the library.
- Manage the computer lab in the library, and supervise Westlaw and LexisNexis student representatives.
- Serve as the library’s liaison with Westlaw, LexisNexis, and other system providers, and manage user accounts and relevant matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Reference and Research Service:
- Provide extensive and in-depth reference and research services to law students and others.
- Produce research guides, user aids, and other research-orientated handouts for library users.
- Offer individual and/or group training to law students with regard to the library’s online catalog, LexisNexis, Westlaw, and other electronic products and databases.
- Give bibliographical and research instructions in and out of the classroom.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate with the IT staff to support information technology and training as needed.
- Participate in book selection and other collection development efforts.
- Contribute contents to the law library’s publications.
- Prepare statistical reports, and draft procedural manuals and other documents as assigned.
- Serve on the Law Library and University committees as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school is required.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library school is required.
- Two year’s law library work experience, preferably in computer/technology service area and familiar with various Microsoft and other software packages.
- Strong service orientation and customer service skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan and carry out programs independently.
- Ability to be flexible and adjust to change.
Applications can be found at http://stmarytx.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Along with the employment application please submit (1) letter of application addressing interest in position, (2) curriculum vita, (3) official graduate transcript confirming the Juris Doctor degree, (4) a list of three references. For further inquiries, please contact Dr. Robert Hu, Director of the Sarita Kenedy East Law Library at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on July 24, 2015 until the appointment is made. Women & minorities are encouraged to apply.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check. St Mary’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Added July 13, 2015
Research Systems and Services Supervisor - Stinson Leonard Street LLP
Stinson Leonard Street LLP seeks an experienced Research Systems and Services Supervisor to join the Firm's Kansas City, MO office. The Research Systems and Services (RS&S) Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the department's operations primarily in the Kansas City office including reference and research support, technical services, training and collection maintenance. The Research Systems and Services Supervisor contributes to the planning and implementation of departmental initiatives and takes a leading role in the development of knowledge and information as a core business function by providing expertise in information resources and products. This position will also periodically oversee RS&S operations in several outlying offices as assigned by the Director.
This position will supervise direct reports in the Kansas City office.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master of Library and Information Science, or comparable degree.
- 7 years of experience in a law library.
- 3 years of experience in a supervisory role.
- Proficiency with relevant technology and online legal research, training, and the analysis of content and resources.
- Strong customer service orientation with the desire and ability to enhance attorney productivity.
- Ability to be flexible and work analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills as well as a high level of professionalism and the ability to work well with employees at all levels within the organization.
- Skilled at organizing resources, defining a project and establishing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills in order to balance multiple projects.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement for the position.
Research and Resources Services
- Supervise Research Systems & Services staff and operations for appropriate office; regularly direct the work of staff and delegate projects where appropriate.
- Perform complex legal and non-legal research, competitive intelligence and current awareness services for clients, attorneys and staff; insuring consistent high level of quality and accuracy.
- Perform the role of Practice Division Resource Expert for the Firm's various practice divisions as assigned by the Director of Research Systems & Services.
- Facilitate and participate in orientation and training / ongoing education of attorneys and legal staff in online databases and RS&S resources.
- Document legal processes, procedures and terminology as well as research methods, techniques and sources of information.
- Analyze current collection and identify publications and services for purchase or cancellation.
- Evaluate new publications, services and computer applications for content, quality, currency, usability and value for purchase.
- Manage the appropriate upkeep, organization and maintenance of print collection.
- Facilitate access to online resources as necessary.
- Some travel may be required to other offices as necessary. (2-3 times per year.)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Stinson Leonard Street is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. We conduct criminal background checks of all individuals offered employment. For more information about Stinson Leonard Street, visit us at www.stinsonleonard.com.
Stinson Leonard Street LLP is a federal contractor. Information gathered through applicant Voluntary Self-Identification will be used periodically with various government agencies for statistical reporting and to measure the effectiveness of our Affirmative Action and EEO outreach efforts. All information is requested on a voluntary basis and will be kept confidential.
Go online to apply for this position.Added June 2, 2015
Research Librarian Position - Chamberlain Hrdlicka
Chamberlain Hrdlicka has an opening for a Research Librarian in their Houston office. For more information, see the job announcement. Added March 11, 2015
Research Librarian - Bryan Cave LLP
Bryan Cave LLP has an opening for a research librarian in their Kansas City office. If interested, please see the job posting on the Firm’s website.Added January 15, 2015
Positions are posted for 60 days or until the listed closing date. If you would like to post a position, please email the position description and contact information to Emily Lawson, Webmaster.