View the Committee Roster
TYPE: Process Committee
PURPOSE: To support the career development and continuing professional education needs of members in accordance with the AALL AALL Professional Education Policy and the Competencies of Law Librarianship in programming outside the Annual Meeting.
CHARGE: To achieve this purpose, the Continuing Professional Education Committee will:
- continuously advise, advocate, support and encourage AALL continuing professional education efforts outside of the Annual Meeting
- work in collaboration with the AALL Education Manager to further develop and maintain the Continuing Professional Education policy and the Competencies of Law Librarianship
- promote and support development of continuing professional education programming by members and association entities
- further develop and administer the AALL/Bloomberg Continuing Education Grants Program
- educate and inform members about the Continuing Professional Education Program and publicize opportunities
- oversee the AALLNET Calendar of Events and Speakers Directory; develop appropriate policies and procedures
- use available technologies to bring programming to members
- monitor and evaluate continuing professional education trends, education efforts and developments, and new technologies of the library and larger community
- study costs and pursue ways to provide quality, affordable programming for members
TIME COMMITMENT: The regular work of the Continuing Professional Education Committee is centered on the BNA grant program, which has four rounds – two in the fall, and two in the spring, and all members review applications consisting of 1-2 hours of work. Members participate in a conference call to discuss the applications and vote. The minimum time commitment for all Committee members is around 3 hours, approximately once a quarter, for an annual minimum of 12 hours. In addition, a subgroup meets to work on webinar topics/speakers to offer to headquarters. The members of that group rotate and contribute probably 5-10 hours of work to the project, including conference calls. The Committee writes announcements about the AALL2go programs for the monthly E-newsletter. Members should also plan time to meet at the annual meeting. Note: Time commitments are estimates from past assignments and can change with new projects or requests for assistance from the Executive Board.
TENURE: Membership on the Committee shall normally be for two (2) years, except that the Vice Chair and Chair will each serve three (3) years. The returning member selected as Vice Chair at the end of the first year shall serve in that capacity in the second year, and become the Chair of the committee for an additional third year.
SIZE: The Committee shall normally consist of a Chair, a Vice Chair, seven (7) members, and a non-voting Executive Board liaison. The Chair of the Annual Meeting Program Committee will serve as an ex officio member.
STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS COMPLIANCE:
Goal I: Leadership
Goal II: Education
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER COMMITTEES/STRUCTURES: The Continuing Professional Education Committee will work collaboratively with other AALL committees, SIS's, chapters, and other entities to provide support to education programs outside of the annual meeting. The chair of the Continuing Professional Education Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Annual Meeting Program Committee, and the chair of the Annual Meeting Program Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Committee on Professional Education. The Education Manager and other AALL staff will act as a bridge to the efforts and initiatives of both committees.