Diana Jaque - December 2004

PrintEmail

December 2004

Centennial Q & A: Part I

At the 1980 Annual Meeting, the AALL membership voted to adopt a dues increase to finance a new position, Executive Director, at AALL Headquarters.

Name AALL's first executive director.

Holiday Greetings to You and Yours!

I can scarcely believe that it is now early December and that most of you are half-way through your terms as Chapter Presidents and Vice-Presidents. By now, you have experienced both challenges and successes. Thanks to each one of you for stepping up to the plate and being a leader. It is not always an easy task, but I hope you have found it to be a rewarding experience.

AALL Executive Board Meeting and Retreat November 18-20, 2004

Many of know that the Chapter Council Chair attends AALL Executive Board Meetings as an invited guest. I was thrilled to attend the Executive Board Meeting and Retreat last month in Oak Brook, Illinois. The board meeting was preceded by a day and a half retreat led by Cate Bower of the Tecker Group. Cate is an excellent facilitator and guided us through the member comments submitted about future directions for AALL. I would like you to know that all of the member input has been carefully considered and that from the input we began identifying a core purpose, values, and set of new goals for the association. Discussions about future goals for the association centered around the following areas: advocacy, education, image/value, leadership, and recruitment/outreach/mentoring. What emerged from the retreat was a member-centered view of AALL's future. Keep in mind that the plan is still in development and that the new plan will be drafted at an Executive Board Subcommittee Meeting to be held early in 2005. Expect the plan to be released in the late Spring with another chance for member input at that time.

On November 20th, the Executive Board and guests participated in a formal board meeting. Perhaps the most interesting bit of news to come out of this was the Board's decision to relax the no-conflict rule for the 2006 Annual Meeting in San Antonio. This means that small meetings may be held by SISs and other entities opposite educational sessions (the no conflict rule will still be in place during Exhibit Hall Breaks, the Association Lunch, Plenary Sessions, and Business Meetings). I'm sure that you'll be hearing more about this in the future. Also, most of you have read in Susan Fox's recent From the Desk of... that the 2006 St. Louis Annual Meeting dates have changed. The new meeting dates are July 8-12, 2006. Please see the December 2nd From the Desk of... for more details.

Chapter Council Chair Nominations: January 15, 2005-February 15, 2005

Thinking about leadership opportunities, it is never too early to consider running for Chapter Council Chair. Remember nominations must be submitted to me between January 15, 2005 and February 15, 2005. According to the Council bylaws, "The Chair shall be chosen from among the immediate past chapter presidents or incumbent presidents due to retire from office by October 31 following the annual meeting. The responsibilities of the Chair shall include, but are not limited to maintaining channels of communication among the chapters and the national leadership, organizing and chairing the annual Council meeting one year following election, AALL [sic], fulfilling the necessary administrative requirements and such other duties as the Council may direct."

Our election for Council Chair will begin on March 15, 2005 and will be conducted online. More details on that front will appear in the January and February Chapter Council Chats.

Did you know?: Chapter Bylaws

Chapter bylaws revisions must be submitted to the AALL Bylaws Committee for review to ensure that the provisions proposed are not in conflict with any provisions of AALL's Bylaws and are otherwise consistent. Contact the current AALL Bylaws Chair David Mao (dmao@cov.com) for further information.

New Year, New Responsibilities: Upcoming Deadlines for Chapter Presidents!

January 15-February 15, 2005: Submit nominations for the 2005-06 Council Chair

February 1, 2005: Deadline to submit nominations for Chapter Professional Development Awards see: http://www.aallnet.org/prodev/chapter_prodev_award.asp

February 10, 2005: AALL/West Excellence in Marketing Awards for Best Brochure, Best Newsletter, Best Campaign, Best PR Toolkit, and Best Use of Technology see: http://www.aallnet.org/committee/pr

Spring 2005: Watch your mail to reserve space in the CONELL Marketplace and AALL Activities Area

Centennial Q & A: Part II
Who was William H. Jepson? Jepson began his stint as AALL Executive Director in September 1981.*

Please note: I will be away from email between December 16 and December 27, 2004.

Happy Holidays to each of you! I have enjoyed getting to know you over the past six months!

Sincerely,

Diana C. Jaque
Chapter Council President