Diane Rodriguez - December 2010

PrintEmail

December 2010

Happy Holidays everyone! This has been a busy year for AALL and all of our Chapters. 2011 has exciting things in store including our annual meeting in Philadelphia . I look forward to continuing to work with you in 2011!

Chapter Visits

Have you applied for a Chapter visit yet? Did you know that AALL will pay the visitor's travel expenses, so the visit is at no or very low cost to your Chapter. You will benefit with a wonderful speaker and stay connected to the AALL Board. Simply fill out the chapter visit request form and return it to Kim Rundle. Go to the Chapter Visit page on AALLNET to find information on policies and procedures for chapter visits. Chapter visits are a great way to network and show off your chapter!

AALL Board Meeting

The fall AALL Board Meeting was held November 4-6, 2010 in Chicago . The meeting was productive and informative. The retreat portion of the meeting discussed how to run successful associations, presented by Paul D. Meyer of Tecker Consultants, LLC. I am hoping to incorporate some of that workshop into our Chapter Leadership Training in Philadelphia in July 2011 as it is valuable information for all of us! Some highlights of the Board Meeting:

• AALL plans to roll out the new website in early 2011
  • Planning is underway for the 2011 Annual Meeting in Philadelphia with 179 proposals considered to fill 50 educational slots
  • The new AALL Vendor Liaison, Margie Maes, is getting up to speed on all the issues and has great enthusiasm to tackle to job.

AALL Annual Meeting Planning

If you haven't sent in your AALL Annual Meeting Scheduling Forms, please do so ASAP. Although forms were due 12/1/2010, Pam is still accepting last minute forms. All chapter presidents should have received a memo from Pam Reisinger outlining the scheduling changes recommended by the Annual Meeting Review Special Committee. Please see the memo and form for more information.

AALL Awards

The time to think about AALL Awards is here. In the November issue of the Spectrum there was a two page announcement about the Association awards, the deadlines, brief descriptions contacts. The article is available on AALLNET.

Full information about the awards, including application forms, is available here.

February 1, 2011 is the deadline for most of the awards.

Please contact Mary Lu Linnane, AALL Awards Committee Chair, if you have any questions.

AALL Annual Meeting Chapter VIP Program

It's not too early to start considering and planning for a Chapter VIP to attend the AALL Annual Meeting in Philadelphia . More information can be found here.

West Librarian Relations Cutbacks

Some of you contacted me with concerns regarding the news of the Thomson Reuters layoffs and restructuring of their librarian relations program. I consulted with the Board and Margie Maes, AALL Vendor Liaison, to see if they had further information. Margie is meeting this month with Anne Ellis of Thomson Reuters to discuss this and other issues facing librarians. I relayed the concerns of the chapter leaders to her and she said she will bring them up in her discussions with Anne. Please feel free to contact me or Margie with any additional concerns or comments you have about this. Margaret (Margie) Maes can be reached at mmaes@aall.org I will keep you posted on any further news on this topic.

Sincerely,

Diane Rodriguez
Chapter Council President