Patricia Barbone - January 2012

PrintEmail

Election of Next Council Chair

In February, we will be electing the next Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents to assist with the Leadership training and succeed me as Chair at the Annual Meeting in Boston this summer.

If you are about to become a past president of your chapter you are eligible to run for Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents. I am requesting nominations now until February 25. Self-nominations are welcome.

I hope you will consider running for this post. I can attest that the next Chair will learn a great deal about AALL and all it offers our profession. If you would like to know more about what the Council Chair does, please feel free to call or e-mail me. Additional information can be found here.

Chapter Visits

Have you thought about arranging a Chapter Visit? There is no set deadline, Chapter Visits happen all year round. Why not augment one of your Chapter's programs with a representative from the AALL Executive Board or the AALL Vendor Liaison, Margie Maes?

Just fill out the Chapter Visit request form and return it to Kim Rundle. Go to the Chapter Visit page on AALLNET to find information on policies and procedures for Chapter Visits. If you would like to host the President, Vice President/President-Elect or Immediate Past President, there is a rotating scheduling which you can obtain here.

I encourage all of your chapters to request a visit. Remember that AALL will pay the visitor's travel expenses, so the visit is at no or very low cost to your chapter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

AALL Awards

February 1, 2012 is the deadline for submitting nominations for many of the awards presented by AALL.

The AALL annually recognizes the accomplishments of individuals who excel in assuring access to legal information and who have shown their commitment and dedication to the law library profession. Recipients of all awards will be recognized at the 2012 AALL Annual Meeting in Boston. Please consider nominating an individual or library for one of these important awards. In particular, please note the Chapter Professional Development Award.

2012 Annual Meeting Registration Opens Next Month

Registration for the 2012 AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, to be held in Boston, MA, will open in early February. Preliminary Information about educational programming, registration and other conference details can be found here.

Once again, AALL is pleased to offer a complimentary one-year AALL membership for non-AALL members who purchase the conference registration package. If your colleagues are not yet part of the AALL community – but should be – please let them know!

AALL Annual Meeting Chapter VIP Program

It's not too early to start considering and planning for a Chapter VIP to attend the AALL Annual Meeting in Boston.

Chapter Registration Awards for Annual Meeting in Boston

The following 10 Chapters are eligible for Chapter Registration Awards for Boston:

AZALL
    COALL
    DALL
    HALL
    MAALL
    LLOPS
    NOCALL
    SCALL
    SWALL
    WESTPAC

AALL will underwrite one free conference registration for each of the above chapters.

Chapters have a great deal of leeway on who they award the free registration, but AALL recommends that you offer this to newer members of the profession who would not otherwise have their registration fee paid for by their employer.

Information will be sent to these chapter presidents from AALL shortly with more information, as well as instructions for recipients; but eligible chapters should begin planning now to distribute the grant. Contact me if you have any questions.

Day in the Life Photography Contest

Details for annual "Day in the Life" of a Law Librarian photo contest can be found here. Photos must be taken from December 1st 2011 to February 29th 2012. The last day for submitting your photo is February 29th. There are many categories for submissions. Please encourage your members to share how they 'see' our profession through a picture.

Sincerely,

Patricia Barbone
Chapter Council President