Patricia Barbone - February 2012

PrintEmail

Election of New Council Chair

Elections for the next Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents will begin on March 5th and close at 8pm EST on March 16th. Voting will take place via email and each chapter gets one vote to elect the next council chair. More details will be distributed via the listserv.

Chapter VIPs

It's not too early to start considering and planning for a Chapter VIP to attend the AALL Annual Meeting in Boston. This is a great way to promote our profession and its value to a related community. If your chapter is planning to invite a VIP to attend the Annual Meeting in Boston, now is the time to extend the invitation. More information is available online.

Chapter Registration Awards for Annual Meeting

The following 10 Chapters are eligible for Chapter Registration Awards for Boston:

AZALL
    COALL
    DALL
    HALL
    MAALL
    LLOPS
    NOCALL
    SCALL
    SWALL
    WESTPAC

Annual Meeting Planning

The 2012 Annual Meeting Scheduling Available for Viewing

Please visit the 2012 Meetings and Events Index on My Conference Planner to confirm that your group's meetings/programs/events have been scheduled as submitted. Please notify Vanessa Castillo at 312-205-8010 or vcastillo@aall.org if you have changes that need to be made. These listings will be replicated in the printed Conference Program that is distributed onsite so it is important that your events are listed correctly. Also, please be aware that meeting room locations are subject to change so please review periodically.

CCP Annual Meeting Events

There are many events planned for Chapter Leaders at the upcoming AALL Annual Meeting in Boston. Mark your calendars with the following events:

Saturday, 7/21/12: (by invitation only) HCC Room 203*

• 8:00 - 11:30 am Chapter Leadership Training
  • 11:45 am - 1:15 pm Luncheon for incoming Committee & SIS Chairs, and incoming Chapter Leaders
  • 1:30 - 2:30 pm Council of Chapter Presidents Business Meeting

Monday, 7/23/12:

• 5:45 – 6:45 pm Chapter Leadership Roundtable: Government Relations, HCC Room 203*

Roster Updates

Have you held an election lately? Sworn in new officers? Please let me know if you have any changes or additions to your Chapter rosters. I want to make sure everyone is getting the Chapter Leadership updates and that the online directory is up-to-date. Simply send me your list of officers: name, title and email addresses and I can verify their inclusion on the appropriate leadership listservs. If your chapter changes in office in April, please take action to update the roster right away.

Chapter Visits

It's never too late to consider scheduling a Chapter visit. Did you know that AALL will pay the visitor's travel expenses, so the visit is at no or very low cost to your Chapter? You will benefit with a wonderful speaker and stay connected to the AALL Board. Just fill out the Chapter Visit request form and return it to Kim Rundle. Go to the Chapter Visit page on AALLNET to find information on policies and procedures for Chapter Visits. If you would like to host the President, Vice President/President-Elect or Immediate Past President, there is a rotating scheduling which you can obtain here.

I encourage all of your chapters to request a visit. AALL Board Members want to meet you, and you will benefit from the experience.

Chapter Bylaws

A message was previously communicated via the CCP email discussion list concerning chapter bylaws. Chapters are required to make sure their bylaws contain the anti-discrimination language as required by AALL Bylaws Article XI, Section 4. In addition, the Committee recommends that each Chapter should review their bylaws on a regular basis. It is good governance practice to review your bylaws every few years. If amendments are needed, the proposed language should be sent to the Bylaws & Resolutions Committee before adoption by the Chapter's membership in case they have a recommended change or suggestion.

As a resource, AALL has provided the Model Chapter Bylaws which were last revised in 2011, and they are posted on AALLNET. (see below). Please use this as a starting point to review your bylaws. The committee will work to respond quickly to chapter requests for review and understands that it may take time for chapters to conduct this review. Next year's Bylaws Committee (chaired by Alan Keely) will also be available to assist the Chapters in this process.

Resources

Patricia Barbone
Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents 2011-2012