Holly Riccio - September 2012

PrintEmail

Updating the Chapter Listserv [c-chpr]

As Chair, it is my responsibility to keep our listserv updated and accurate. However, I can only accomplish this with your help. Please review the current listserv roster here and let me know if anyone should be added or deleted for your chapter. The individuals that should be included are the President, Vice President/President-Elect and Past President. Please note that I have added chapter affiliations in front of individual names so I can sort by chapter. This should make it easier for you to review as well. Send all changes to the Chapter Listserv to me at hriccio@omm.com.

I also want to encourage all of you to use the Council of Chapter Presidents listserv to ask questions and make comments about chapter leadership issues, policies or just share new ideas or best practices.

Chapter Liability Insurance

The deadline to purchase chapter liability insurance for your chapter is right around the corner! The annual premium for coverage is $1.00 per chapter member and is based on the number of members of your chapter as of October 1, 2012. In order to include this coverage for your chapter, AALL must receive your check and completed insurance form no later than October 20, 2012. If you have any questions, please contact AALL Director of Finance & Administration Paula Davidson.

Chapter Visits

It's never too early to plan for a chapter visit. Just fill out the Chapter Visit Request Form on AALLNET and submit it to Kim Rundle. All of the information you need to know about chapter visits can be found here . Chapter visits are a great way to keep up with the latest AALL issues and developments and is also a wonderful way to network and connect with the AALL Executive Board. Remember: AALL pays the visitor's travel expenses, so a chapter visit has little to no monetary impact to your chapter.

AALL/Bloomberg Continuing Education Grants Program (CEGP)

Does your chapter wants to put on an educational event and is in need of funds to make it happen? If the answer is yes, consider applying for a CPE program grant. These grants are meant to assist in providing ongoing quality educational programming outside of the AALL Annual Meeting and can assist with program content (i.e. speakers, venue) or the method of a wider distribution (i.e. podcast, webinar). Grant requests are accepted at various times throughout the year. The next deadline for grant applications is November 8, 2012 and the announcement of funded grants from this round is December 11, 2012. Subsequent grant deadlines, as well as all of the details about the program, can be found here.

Innovation at the Intersections

I recently attended an internal training session on process improvement and the subtitle of the presentation was "Innovation at the Intersections." The presenters used this phrase to bring home the idea that the best way to make process improvements, move forward and do things better is to look at where you have intersections or commonalities with other people or groups and leverage those. One of my goals as Chair this year is to both encourage these kinds of innovation and find out about them and share them with everyone else. Take a look at the description of what the New Orleans chapter did—click here to read the summary of what they did from the August 2012 AALL E-Newsletter.

The question, after setting this goal, was where to start. I decided to start with encouraging partnering with other legal professional associations at the local chapter level. I am working with the AALL Liaison to the Association of Legal Administrators, Monice Kaczorowski to develop some strategies and implementation tips for chapters to achieve this. Look for more details on this program—to be called Chapter Match—in the coming weeks.

Join the AALL Advocacy Team

Do you want to have a say in the federal, state, and local issues that affect law libraries? Take the brief Advocacy Team Questionnaire today to get in on the action! By providing our Government Relations Office with some brief information about yourself and your interests, you'll help to expand our advocacy influence and make a difference in the policies that impact you and your profession. You will help to implement public policies that ensure no-fee permanent public access to official, authentic legal resources, create an equitable balance in copyright laws, protect the privacy of library users, and impact other key information policy issues. The Government Relations Office will call upon Advocacy Team members to influence the outcome on our important legislative priorities. They will only contact you when matters are urgent, so when you hear from them, you'll know they really need your help.

Volunteer for the 2014 Annual Meeting Program Committee (AMPC)

AALL will be accepting applications for the 2014 Annual Meeting Program Committee (AMPC) beginning October 2, 2012. The committee has the opportunity to help set the stage for the premier educational event for our members, the 2014 Annual Meeting in San Antonio. Information about the AMPC's work is available here. All applications are due November 1, 2012. The committee volunteer form for all other AALL committees will open on February 1, 2013.

Holly Riccio
Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents 2012-13