Holly Riccio - October 2012

PrintEmail

Welcome New Chapter Vice Presidents

Recent Chapter elections have given us a new crop of Chapter Vice Presidents. Please join me in welcoming the following individuals to the Council: Colleen Ostiguy (ALLUNY), Jeri Kay Hopkins (MAALL), Emily Janoski–Haehlen (ORALL), and Timothy Kelly (WestPac). Congratulations to all of you!

More Partnering at the Chapter Level

I continue to work with AALL Liaison to the Association of Legal Administrators, Monice Kaczorowski, on the Chapter Match initiative. However, in the meantime, I wanted to share another example of chapters partnering with other legal professional associations. The Private Law Libraries Special Interest Section (PLL-SIS) and The Law Librarians' Society of Washington, D.C. (LLSDC) are partnering to host "Showcase: Empowering the Next Generation of Law Firms." The showcase will take place on November 8, 2012 and members of the American Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar, the Association of Legal Administrators, the Legal Marketing Association and ARMA are all invited to attend. You can read more about this effort in the article that appeared about it on the On Firmer Ground blog.

Are you doing something within your chapter with a local chapter or branch of another legal professional association? If so, please let me know so I can highlight your effort in a future Chapter Chat and so your fellow chapter leaders can get more ideas and inspiration to try things themselves as well.

New Chapter Newsletter Reviews on AALL Spectrum Blog

Check out the latest reviews of chapter newsletters from the volunteers writing for the AALL Spectrumblog: LLAW (Summer 2012 LLAW Briefs), WestPac (Summer 2012 WestPac News), CALL (Fall 2012 CALL Bulletin), MALL (Fall 2012 MALL Newsletter), SEAALL (Summer 2012 Southeastern Law Librarian), MAALL (MAALL Markings , Volume 21, Issue 4) and LLAM (Fall 2012 LLAM eNews).

AALL VIP Best Practices

I would like to use the collective knowledge of this group to develop some best practices documentation related to the hosting of AALL visitors to chapters. If you have any checklists, documents or information you can share with me about what your chapter does to make a visit by an AALL VIP smooth, enjoyable and informative, please let me know. My goal is to take all of the information I receive and develop a document that can be shared with all of the chapters to use as guideline to prepare for and carry out activities surrounding AALL VIP visits. Please send your ideas and information to me at hriccio@omm.com.

Chapter Virtual Training Update

The Chapter Treasurer virtual training was held on Monday, October 15th. Director of Finance and Administration Paula Davidson presented information pertinent to chapter treasurers and facilitated related discussion amongst the attendees from over 20 chapters. Planning for a Meeting Management virtual training, to be led by Joyce Manna Janto, has begun and more information will be made available shortly. In an effort to partner and share, we will also be inviting the SIS Chairs to attend this training this year.

AALL Executive Board Meeting

The 2012 Fall AALL Board Meeting will be held on November 2-3 in Chicago. Although the deadline has passed for submitting agenda items, please let me know if you have any issues that need to be addressed. Also, please remember to check the 2012 Executive Board Books and Minutes page on AALLNET for the latest board book. Reading through this document is a great way to stay abreast of the issues that the Board is considering and discussing.

AALL Bylaws Ballot (Voting Closes October 30th)

At its July 2012 meeting, the AALL Executive Board approved bylaw amendments for recommendation to and adoption by the membership. These proposed bylaw amendments would expand the categories of membership and revise the rights of members. Additionally, the amendments clarify the language regarding chapter bylaws and update the rules of order governing the Association. A frequently asked questions (FAQs) document was created to describe and explain the proposed amendments to the AALL Bylaws. Please be sure to review the text of the proposed bylaw amendments prior to voting and remember that voting will close on Tuesday, October 30th.

2013 AALL Annual Meeting Planning

All chapter presidents will be receiving a memo from Pam Reisinger outlining the scheduling and planning process for chapter events at the AALL Annual Meeting taking place in Seattle from July 13-16, 2013. The memo should be going out sometime in November and will be due back to AALL sometime in December.

Holly Riccio
Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents 2012-13