Holly Riccio - November 2012

PrintEmail

Supporting Victims of Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy has had a devastating impact on the Northeast coast. For those Chapters who members have had their lives and jobs affected by these devastating events, please know that we are thinking of you during this difficult time. We all get by with a little help, support and encouragement from our friends and colleagues. AALL has established a blog to share information about resource needs, available assistance, or ways the AALL community can be of assistance.

AALL Annual Meeting Planning

All Chapter Presidents should have received a memo from Pam Reisinger with information related to the planning of the 2013 Annual Meeting in Seattle. Scheduling Forms for any meetings or events that your Chapter wants to hold are due to AALL by Monday, December 10th. Please refer to the 2013 Preliminary Annual Meeting & Conference Schedule as your guide to request appropriate open scheduling time slots for your meetings or events.

AALL Bylaws Vote: What Does It Mean For Chapters?

The AALL Bylaws ballot results were recently released and all three of the proposed bylaws amendments passed. In amending Article XI.5. to read "Chapter Bylaws must not be in conflict with the Bylaws of the Association," the Bylaws Committee concluded that AALL Chapters may employ a different set of membership categories without being in conflict with the AALL Bylaws by adhering to the overall spirit of the revised Article IV. The proposed change does not affect Article XI.4. of the current AALL Bylaws, which states: "Chapters may establish their own membership qualifications and rights. The membership criteria adopted by the Chapter must comply with the anti-discrimination provisions in Article III." The AALL Bylaws grant Chapters the ability to establish membership qualifications and rights, so long as they abide by the anti-discrimination provision. Therefore, the AALL Bylaws change to categories of membership does not affect Chapters.

So, what this means is that Chapters don't have to make any amendments to their existing bylaws as a result of the AALL Bylaws amendments. However, it is still a good best practice to review the bylaws of your Chapter on a regular basis. If your Chapter wants to propose bylaws amendments, remember to send them to the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee, as part of their committee charge is to "…review all Chapter and SIS constitutions and Bylaws, when adopted or amended, for conflict or inconsistency with the Association documents."

The Election Isn't Over Yet—The AALL Election, That Is!

Yes, we just finished one election, but we have another important election to vote in before we can hang up our voting hats. Polls for the AALL Executive Board Election opened on Thursday, November 1st. Before you fill out your ballot, learn about the candidates' backgrounds and views from their biographies and statements. Once you are ready to vote, click on the Vote Now link to access the ballot. AALL needs people on its Executive Board who represent the interests of all our members, so please remind and encourage those in your Chapters that are also AALL members to participate in this important process.

Connect With Our AALL Vendor Liaison

Here is a note from AALL Vendor Liaison Margaret Maes:

It was a pleasure to speak at the Chapter Leadership Training event in Boston, and I want to remind Chapter leaders again of the vendor relations resources available to you under the Advocacy tab on AALLNET. I also encourage you to contact me with any specific issues you might want to discuss or simply to keep me informed about the vendor relations activities in your Chapter. I welcome the opportunity to talk to groups or individuals at any time, and I am available to present at Chapter meetings or to work with your Chapter level vendor relations group. I travel frequently to visit legal publishers, and in the future I will try to connect with local Chapters and meet informally with members if possible. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me at mmaes@aall.org or (312) 802-1776.

Meeting Management Virtual Training Scheduled

The Meeting Management virtual training will be held on Tuesday, November 20th from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. PT. Former AALL President Joyce Manna Janto will go over some basics of good meeting etiquette, including parliamentary procedure, and provide other tips on running effective meetings. In an effort to partner and share information, members of the SIS Council are also being invited to attend this training. We are also planning to audio tape the session for those that cannot attend.

Save The Date! Future Government Relations Virtual Training

AALL's Government Relations Office (GRO) will hold its first-ever online advocacy training for chapter leaders on January 30 th at 12:00 p.m. EST. The government relations virtual training will provide you with an opportunity to hear about the recent advocacy efforts of other Chapters, learn best practices in government relations, and discover all the resources the GRO can offer. Topics will include how your chapter can help promote the Uniform Electronic Legal Material Act (UELMA) and ensure funding for public law libraries in your state or region. The virtual training will take the place of the annual chapter leadership government relations training at the 2013 Annual Meeting in Seattle. However, the GRO plans to host an in-person get together for chapter leadership and government relations chairs to network and meet with GRO staff in Seattle. More information about the virtual training will be made available soon.

Holly Riccio
Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents 2012-13