Holly Riccio - May 2013

PrintEmail

New Chapter Newsletter Reviews on AALL Spectrum Blog

Check out the latest reviews of Chapter newsletters from the volunteers writing for the AALL Spectrum blog: ORALL (March 2013 Newsletter), SEAALL (Winter 2013 Southeastern Law Librarian), and ALLUNY (March 2013 Newsletter).

Chapter Government Relations Event at Annual Meeting

Chapter leaders and Government Relations Committee Chairs are invited to attend the Government Relations Get-Together on Sunday, July 14th at 5:00 p.m. This informal event will take place at the Fountain Wine Bar in the Sheraton Seattle Hotel, the AALL Headquarters for this year's Annual Meeting and Conference.

Chapter advocates are invited to network with their fellow Chapter contacts, strategize on upcoming advocacy campaigns, and celebrate the Chapter successes of the past year, including the enactment of the Uniform Electronic Legal Material Act (UELMA) in eight states to date! AALL Government Relations Office staff Emily Feltren and Elizabeth Holland will be on hand to answer questions, facilitate connections, and share more information on future opportunities for chapter involvement. You won't want to miss it!

Please RSVP to Elizabeth Holland no later than Monday, July 8th if you plan on attending.

Chapter Roster Updates: Keep Them Coming...

Has your Chapter held an election lately? Sworn in new officers? I know that there are some Chapters that are holding elections now and will be announcing new officers very soon. Please let me know if you have any changes or additions to your Chapter roster. You will want to make sure that your Chapter leadership is getting all the news at this busy time of year. Just send the information (names, titles, and e-mail addresses) to me and I will make sure both your Chapter roster on AALLNET is updated and that the appropriate names get added to the Chapter listserv.

Council of Chapter Presidents Business Meeting

I am in the process of drafting the agenda for the Council of Chapter Presidents Business Meeting that will be taking place at the Annual Meeting in Seattle on Saturday, July 13th at 3:00 p.m. The agenda will probably be a bit fuller than in past years, due to the new combined format of the Leadership Training taking place earlier that day. If you have any agenda items you would like placed on the agenda, please let me know.

Please also remember that each Chapter should have at least one representative at the meeting, either the current Chapter President or his/her designee. Both incoming Presidents and Vice Presidents may attend.

Annual Meeting Activities Area Space Reservations Due June 3rd

Reservation forms for space in the Activities Area of the Exhibit Hall at the Annual Meeting in Seattle were sent out earlier this month. Hosting a table is a great way to attract new members and show off your Chapter spirit and accomplishments. If your Chapter wants to reserve a table in the Activities Area, please make sure to complete and submit the form to Vanessa Castillo by the June 3rd deadline.

Requests for Signs

If your Chapter is holding an event in Seattle, you should have received a letter from Pam Reisinger about sign requests. Before ordering a new sign, take a look at the sign inventory to see if there is a sign in storage that you can use. If you do want to order a new sign, those requests need to be in by June 3 rd. If nothing else, you may want to review the sign inventory and notify Pam if there are any signs that are now outdated and can be disposed of.

Submissions for AALL General Business Meeting or July AALL Executive Board Meeting

The AALL General Business Meeting will be held July 15th at 4:00 p.m. during the Annual Meeting in Seattle. If you or your Chapter is interested in submitting a resolution for consideration, please do so by June 24th. Submissions should be sent via e-mail to ambusmtg@aall.org.

If you or your Chapter is interested in submitting any agenda items for the next AALL Executive Board Meeting, to be held on July 11-12, now is the time to submit them. Agenda items should be submitted electronically by using the Agenda Item Submission Form on AALLNET and are due no later than June 7th. Please consult with me if you plan on submitting an agenda item, as I will be asked to explain your agenda item to the Board and will need to be familiar with it.

AALL Chapter Match: Prepare 2 Partner

One of my goals for my year as Chair was to encourage more of what I liked to call "...innovation at the intersections." or maximize on the intersections or commonalities with other groups and leverage those. Over the course of the year, I have highlighted what some Chapters have done to reach out and connect with other legal professional organizations, including (but certainly not limited to) the efforts of NOALL, NOCALL, and LLSDC.

Earlier this month, I announced the official launch of this program on the Chapter listserv and attached an FAQ to help Chapters partner successfully and spread the word about their efforts effectively. The information about this initiative is also being shared with all of the AALL Representatives so that they are prepared to work with Chapters on future partnering efforts.

The best way to get ideas about how to create successful partnerships come from you—from your real-world experiences and co-sponsored events. Please continue to share your partnering successes, so that they can be shared with your fellow Chapters and others within AALL.

Holly Riccio
Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents 2012-13