JoAnn Hounshell - December 2013

PrintEmail

The End of Membership As We Know It

Recently the AALL HQ staff held a retreat to discuss how to better serve the membership. They started their discussion by reading The End of Membership As We Know It by Sarah L. Sladek. Chapters are also looking for better ways of engaging and serving their membership. This book contains ideas that chapters may find useful to begin their own discussions.

AALL Awards Season!

We are heading into that time of year again...calling for nominations for the SAG Awards, Peoples Choice Awards and the big one, the AALL Awards! Heidi Kuhl, AALL Awards Committee chair has sent out the first call for nominations. Please look at the full list of AALL Awards and consider nominating an individual, library or group for one of these important awards. The deadline for most nominations is February 1, 2014, but check the description, criteria and application information for the appropriate award to be certain. Recipients of the AALL Awards will be recognized at the 2014 AALL Annual Meeting in San Antonio.

AALL Excellence in Marketing awards

Speaking of awards, AALL gives out Excellence in Marketing awards each year. The AALL Public Relations Committee wants to remind chapters that they are eligible to submit their materials for these awards. If your chapter is in the process of creating or updating marketing materials about your activities, we hope you'll consider submitting them in one of the eligible categories (Best Brochure, Best Newsletter, Best Campaign, Best PR Tool Kit, and Best Use of Technology). More information about the full rules and application process can be found on AALLNET.

Local Advocate Lobby Day

The AALL Government Relations Office is gearing up for the second-annual Local Advocate Lobby Day scheduled for March 27, 2014. The Lobby Day is free of charge for all AALL members and chapter members. Please email Elizabeth Holland at eholland@aall.org with any questions or to register by March 1.

Updating Chapter Rosters and the Chapter Listserv

Several chapters have recently held elections, while other chapters are about to go into election mode. As part of a smooth transition it is important to keep the listserv and Chapter rosters on AALLNET current. Please review your chapter's roster as it appears here and let me know if anyone should be added or deleted for your chapter. Chapter listserv (c-chpr) messages go to President, Vice President/President-Elect and Past President. Please let me know if anyone needs to be added or deleted from the listerv at jhounshell@kentlaw.iit.edu.

I also want to encourage you to use the Council of Chapter Presidents listserv to ask questions and make comments about chapter leadership issues, policies or to share new ideas or best practices.

Nominations for the Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents

As 2013 comes to a close, it is time to start thinking about new adventures for 2014. I will be asking for nominations starting in mid-January, so start thinking about nominating yourself or a fellow chapter president who you think would be a good candidate for Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents. Are you ready for a new adventure? More information on the Role of the Chair can be found on AALLNET, and I am happy to talk to anyone about my experience.

JoAnn Hounshell
Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents 2013-2014