The Distinguished Service Award was established in 1984 to recognize extended and sustained service to law librarianship, for the exemplary service to the Association, or for contributions to the professional literature. The award was renamed the Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award in 1990. This award is the Association's highest honor.
The Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award is presented to an individual who has completed or is nearing completion of an active professional career. The Award is given in recognition of a career of outstanding, extended and sustained service to law librarianship and to AALL. Honorees may be recognized for exceptional achievement in a particular area of law librarianship, for service to the Association that goes well beyond expectation, or for outstanding contributions to the professional literature. Nominees must be or at one time have been a member of the American Association of Law Libraries. The award may be given posthumously.
Download the application
The deadline for nominations is February 1 of each year. Nominations should include either additional supporting letters or the names of the other persons to contact for further information concerning the nominee. Each candidate shall be considered individually and confidentially and will be judged according to the criteria listed above.
Petitions and letter writing campaigns (beyond those letters included with the application) are discouraged and will not be considered in the evaluation process nor will they influence the Committee.
Please email one copy or mail four copies of the nomination form and supporting documentation to:
Heidi Frostestad Kuehl
Foreign & International Law Librarian & Coordinator of Educational Programming
Northwestern University School of Law
Pritzker Legal Research Center
375 E Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611-3059
The Award shall be a plaque issued by the American Association of Law Libraries.
- Carolyn P. Ahearn, Director of Library Services, Retired, Wiley Rein LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Judy Meadows, Director and State Law Librarian, Retired, State Law Library of Montana, Helena, MT
- Nancy P. Johnson, Associate Dean for Library and Information Services, Professor of Law, Georgia State University College of Law Library, Atlanta, GA
- Harry S. Martin III, Henry N. Ess III Librarian and Professor of Law, Emeritus, Harvard Law School, Adjunct Professor, University of Texas School of Law and School of Information, Austin, TX
- Laura N. Gasaway, Professor of Law, University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, NC
- Frank G. Houdek, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Law, Southern Illinois University Law Library, Carbondale, IL
- M. Kathleen Price, Retired, Alexandria, VA
- Marie E. Whited, Law Library of Congress
- Patrick E. Kehoe, American University
- Elizabeth Ann Puckett, University of Georgia School of Law
- Robert L. Oakley (posthumously), Georgetown University Law Library
- Carol D. Billings, Director, Law Library of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA
- Roger F. Jacobs, Retired (2006), Associate Dean and Professor of Law, Kresge Law Library, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN
- Cossette T. Sun, Law Library Director, Bernard E. Witkin Alameda County Law Library, Oakland, CA
2006 No award
- Charles R. Dyer, Director of Libraries, San Diego County Public Law Library, San Diego, CA
- Michael S. Miller, Retired Director, Maryland State Law Library, Annapolis, MD
- Roy M. Mersky, Harry M. Reasoner Regents Chair in Law and Director of Research, The Jamail Center for Legal Research, Tarlton Law Library, University of Texas at Austin School of Law, Austin, TX
- Shirley Hart David, Director, Sacramento County Public Law Library, Sacramento, CA
- Thomas H. Reynolds, Associate Law Librarian Emeritus University of California School of Law Library, Boalt Hall, Berkeley, CA
- Marvin R. Anderson, Retired State Law Librarian, Minnesota State Law Library, St. Paul, MN.
- Leah F. Chanin, Retired Professor of Law and Director, Furman Smith Law Library, Mercer University, Macon, GA
- Francis Robert “Bob” Doyle, Director, Loyola University Chicago School of Law Library, Chicago, IL
- Jacqueline S. Wright, ,Retired Librarian, Arkansas Supreme Court Library, Little Rock, Arkansas
- Marian Boner (deceased), Retired Director, Texas State Law Library, Austin, Texas
- Francis Gates, Retired Circuit Librarian, U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, San Francisco, California
- Balfour Halevy, Retired Law Librarian, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Adolf Sprudzs, Retired Foreign and International Librarian, University of Chicago Law Library, Chicago, Illinois
- Edgar J. Bellefontaine, Boston, Massachusetts
- Eileen H. Searls, St.. Louis University Law Library
- Richard L. Beer, Lake Orion, Michigan
- Bardie C. Wolfe, Jr., St. Thomas University Law Library
- Marie Wallace
- Betty Taylor, University of Florida, College of Law Legal Information Center
1996 No award
- Al Coco, Dan Henke, Mortimer Schwartz
- Jack S. Ellenberger, Elizabeth Finley, Diana Vincent-Daviss
- Jane L. Hammond, Blanka Kudej
- Elizabeth Benyon, Mary W. Oliver
- Connie E. Bolden, Morris L. Cohen, Anthony P. Grech
- Viola Bird, Hibernia Turbeville
- Harry Bitner, Leon M. Liddell, George Strait
- Earl Borgeson, Forrest Drummond, Frank Lukes, Bethany Ochal
- Arthur Charpentier, J. Myron Jacobstein, William Murphy
1985 No award