|The 2016 AALL Leadership Academy was held on April 1-2, 2016 at the Hyatt Lodge in Oak Brook, Illinois.
AALL Leadership Academy Fellows were engaged and enjoyed building core leadership competencies to help maximize their leadership potential. They will receive ongoing leadership development through the AALL Leadership Academy Mentoring Program. Fellows will work with mentors over the next year to continue to hone their leadership skills and make an impact in their careers and within AALL.
The 2016 AALL Leadership Academy focused on the following areas:
- Leadership models, concepts and myths
- Effective and assertive communication techniques
- Leadership styles and approaches
- Strategies for difficult conversations
- Core leadership values
- Motivational leadership
- Influence and workplace ethics
Check out photos from the
AALL Leadership Academy
MEET AALL'S NEWEST LEADERSHIP ACADEMY FELLOWS
WHAT DO FELLOWS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE AALL LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
- Ashley Ahlbrand; Educational Technology Librarian; Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Jerome Hall Law Library; Bloomington, IN
- Laura Ax-Fultz; Information Services and Outreach Librarian; Dickinson School of Law Library, Pennsylvania State University; Carlisle, PA
- Susan Azyndar; Reference Librarian and Adjunct Professor; Moritz Law Library, Moritz College of Law; Columbus, OH
- Alissa Black-Dorward; Head of Reference and Empirical Research Specialist; Fordham University Law Library; New York, NY
- Cynthia Brown; Director of Research Services; Littler Mendelson P.C.; Fresno, CA
- Clara Cabrera; Research and Reference Specialist; WilmerHale; New York, NY
- Mari Cheney; Digital Resources and Reference Librarian; Lewis & Clark Law School, Boley Law Library; Portland, OR
- Cattleya Concepcion; Faculty and Web Services Librarian; George Mason University School of Law; Arlington, VA
- Shamika Dalton; Reference Librarian; University of Florida-Levin College of Law, Chiles Legal Information Center; Gainesville, FL
- Claire De Marco; Research Librarian; Harvard Law School Library; Cambridge, MA
- Alyson Drake; Reference and Student Services Librarian; Texas Tech University School of Law Library; Lubbock, TX
- Cassie DuBay; Head of Research Services; Southern Methodist University; Dallas, TX
- Nicole Dyszlewski; Research/Access Services Librarian; Roger Williams University School of Law; Bristol, RI
- Lila Faulkner; Law Librarian; U.S. Department of Justice; Patrick Henry Library; Washington, D.C.
- Rachel Gordon; Head of Access and Collection Services; Duke University, J. Michael Goodson Law Library; Durham, NC
- Susan Gualtier; Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian; Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center; Baton Rouge, LA
- Judy Heier; Manager of Library Services; Farella Braun + Martel LLP; San Francisco, CA
- Angela Henes; Research Librarian; Foley & Lardner LLP; Madison, WI
- Carolyn Hersch; Senior Reference Librarian; Ropes & Gray LLP; Chicago, IL
- Mary Kate Hunter; Reference/Government Contracts Librarian; The George Washington University Law School, Jacob Burns Law Library; Washington, D.C.
- Liz Johnson; Reference Librarian; Wake Forest School of Law, Professional Center Library; Winston-Salem, NC
- Kristyn Johnson; Access Services Librarian; University of Minnesota Law Library; Minneapolis, MN
- Benjamin Keele; Research and Instructional Services Librarian; Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Ruth Lilly Law Library; Indianapolis, IN
- Cate Kellett; Catalog and Government Documents Librarian; Yale Law School, Lillian Goldman Library; New Haven, CT
- Jessica King; Reference Librarian; Perkins Coie LLP; Seattle, WA
- Anna Lawless-Collins; Collection Development Librarian; Boston University, Fineman & Pappas Law Libraries; Boston, MA
- Sherry Leysen; Research/Instruction Librarian, Faculty Services; Chapman University Law Library; Orange, CA
- David Matchen; Circulation/Reference Librarian; University of Baltimore Law Library; Baltimore, MD
- Rebecca Mattson; Scholarly Communications and Faculty Services Librarian; Pennsylvania State University, Penn State Law; University Park, PA
- Sarah Morris; Knowledge Solutions Education Coordinator; Greenberg Traurig LLP; Phoenix, AZ
- Sarah Mulligan; Manager of Research Services; Faegre Baker Daniels LLP; Minneapolis, MN
- Hilary Naab; Branch Librarian; U.S. Court of Appeals; Eighth Circuit Library; Cedar Rapids, IA
- Clanitra Stewart Nejdl; Reference and Instructional Services Librarian/Assistant Professor; Northern Illinois University College of Law, David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library; DeKalb, IL
- Jennifer Prilliman; Associate Director and Law Library Professor; Oklahoma City University School of Law; Oklahoma City, OK
- Anne Rajotte; Reference Librarian; University of Connecticut School of Law Library, Hartford, CT
- Louis Rosen; Reference Librarian and Assistant Professor of Law Library; Barry University, Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law; Orlando, FL
- Alison Rosenberg; Head of Outreach Services; Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Amanda Runyon; Head of Reference and Faculty Services; University of Michigan Law Library; Ann Arbor, MI
- Morgan Stoddard; Research Services Librarian; George Washington University Library; Washington, D.C.
- Thomas Striepe; Faculty Services Librarian; University of Georgia, Alexander Campbell King Law Library; Athens, GA
- Jason Tubinis; Information Technology Librarian; University of Georgia, Alexander Campbell King Law Library; Athens, GA
- Lee Van Duzer; Librarian; Washington County Law Library; Hillsboro, OR
- Austin Williams; Assistant Law Library Director; North Carolina Central University School of Law Library; Durham, NC
- Clare Willis; Research and Faculty Services Librarian; IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law; Chicago, IL
- Jason Zarin; Head of Reference, Research, and Instructional Services; University of Richmond School of Law Library; Richmond, VA
I rated the Leadership Academy very highly. I found the academy to be a very interesting and rewarding experience. I haven’t made any major changes yet, but I see a clearer path forward in my career after attending. Thanks so much for organizing it. Benjamin Keele, Research and Instructional Services Librarian, Ruth Lilly Law Library - 2016 Fellow
The trainers at the Leadership Academy provided valuable advice that had a profound influence on my growth and effectiveness as a leader. Through thoughtful and stimulating dialogue with other fellows, I gained a great deal of insight about how others think and communicate, how I communicate, and how my words and actions are perceived by others. After spending the weekend together, working through issues, learning about ourselves and others, and laughing a lot, I left the Leadership Academy with a strong network of colleagues from across the country with similar interests and goals. I love to see their names come through my inbox as either direct communication with me, or more often as leaders in the organization. Patrick Butler, Electronic Resources and Reference Librarian, University of Connecticut School of Law Library - 2014 Fellow
The Leadership Academy helped me reflect on my leadership abilities in a way that I would not have had the skills or knowledge to do on my own. Emily Gelling, Research Specialist, Reinhart, Boerner, Van Deuren, S.C - 2014 Fellow
Gail Johnson and Pam Parr, Face to Face Communications and Training
Gail Johnson founded Face to Face Communications and Training in 1997. She is a widely regarded leadership and communications expert and has designed and delivered thousands of workshops throughout the U.S.
Pam Parr joined Face to Face Communications and Training in 2005 bringing more than 30 years of business management and customer service experience.
Sought after speakers on leadership, they have led many programs for library organizations. Their sessions at the American Library Association and Public Library Association have been a draw for more than five years. At the 2015 AALL Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, Gail and Pam facilitated education sessions on leadership, workplace behavior, and motivating staff.
Contact Celeste R. Smith, AALL director of education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.205.8032 for more information.