The Volunteer Service Award was established in 2009 to honor members who have made a significant contribution to the work of AALL but have not served on the AALL Executive Board or received any of the AALL awards for distinguished service listed in the section below.
- Nominee must be a member in good standing of AALL for last 10 years immediately preceding the nomination
- Nominee must not have served as a member of the AALL Executive Board.
- Nominee must not previously have received any of the following awards:
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award
- AALL Hall of Fame
- Joseph L. Andrews Legal Literature Award
- ALL-SIS Frederick Charles Hicks Award for Outstanding Contributions to Academic Law Librarianship
- CS-SIS Kenneth J. Hirsh Distinguished Service Award
- SCCLL-SIS Bethany J. Ochal Award for Distinguished Service to the Profession
- TS-SIS Renee D. Chapman Award for Outstanding Contributions in Technical Services Law Librarianship
- Nominee must be an active participant in the Association, as evidenced by one or more significant contributions to AALL, including but not limited to the following:
- Volunteer service at Annual Meetings (registration, library tours, etc.)
- Volunteer service with special projects (e.g. Annual Meeting service projects)
- Presenting educational programs at AALL Annual Meetings
- Chairing an SIS or serving as chapter president
- Chairing an AALL committee or jury, or an SIS committee
- Representing AALL in an official capacity to an outside entity
- Active service as a member of an AALL committee or jury, or an SIS committee
Download Volunteer Service Award Nomination Form
The deadline for nominations is February 1 of each year.
Please email the nomination form and supporting documentation to:
Recipients will receive a plaque given in the name of the Association and presented during the AALL Annual Meeting.
- Donna K. Bausch, Law Librarian, Norfolk Law Library, Norfolk, VA
- Leonette M. Williams, Associate Director of the Law Library for Collection and Administrative Services, University of Southern California Gould School of Law, Los Angeles, CA
- Karen B. Brunner, Director of Library Services, Riker, Danzig, Scherer, Hyland & Perretti LLP, Morristown, NJ
- Sarah Galligan, Director, Ramsey County Law Library, St. Paul, MN
- Sandra Marz, Library Director, Retired, Washoe County Law Library, Reno, NV
- Michele Finerty, Assistant Director for Technical Services, Pacific McGeorge School of Law, Gordon D. Schaber Law Library, Sacramento, CA
- Jean Willis, Assistant Director for Support Services, Sacramento County Public Law Library, Sacramento, CA
2011 (none awarded)
- Kathleen Kelly, Lockridge Grindal Nauen P.L.L.P.
- Brian D. Striman, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Schmid Law Library