of the Online Bibliographic Services Special Interest Section
2002-2003 Board Meeting
July 24, 2002
Attending: Mary Jane Kelsey, Ismael
Gullon, Judy Vaughn-Sterling, Kevin Butterfield, Ellen
McGrath, Corinne Jacox, Ruth Patterson, Funabiki, Richard Jost
Jane Kelsey welcomed new Board Members, Kevin Butterfield (Vice-Chair)
and Ruth Patterson Funabiki (Member-at-Large). She also thanked Ismael
Gullon, Susan Chinoransky and Ellen McGrath
for their past service.
Jane Kelsey announced that Anne Myers
would be adding the current officers on the OBS web site, plus working on getting
the OBS procedures manual loaded on the web. Anne will work with Ismael
Gullon and Ellen McGrath on
revising the procedures manual to update it and prepare it for web access. Anne
will continue to serve as the OBS web advisor and will try to keep the information
on the website as current as possible. AALL will be purchasing software that
will enable OBS to gather statistics on the use of its website.
Jane Kelsey announced that Chris Long will be taking Brian
Striman�s place as the Research Roundtable coordinator and also will be writing
the Research Roundtable column in TSLL.
4. Technical Services
Law Librarian report: The costs of printing TSLL have become increasingly prohibitive
for OBS due to the limited budget and other expenses that OBS is responsible
for throughout the year. Under consideration is the possibility of distributing
TSLL over the web, saving the costs of reproduction and mailing. Both OBS and
TS will include a question on their annual member surveys this year soliciting
member feedback on this option before making a decision. In the meantime, OBS
will make sure that the split in costs of producing TSLL has been properly allocated
(70% = TS, 30% = OBS) and review past financial statements to ensure that the
allocation has been correct in the past.
5. Strategic Planning
implementation: To maintain momentum in implementing the OBS Strategic Plan,
some specific activities were identified:
Myers (working with the SIS committees) will create an FAQ
section on the website
b.) The OBS Education
Committee will explore ways to solicit ideas from the membership and develop
a list of speakers in preparation for the AALL Annual Meeting in Boston
c.) A discussion
ensued about how to better involve the OBS standing committees in the education
process, to avoid the problem of non-active members on the committees. A suggestion
was made to improve communication with the committees by sending regular email
messages to them to strengthen communication.
5. AALL Seattle
Soup Reception � Ruth Patterson Funabiki
b.) OBS Activities
Table - Ruth Patterson Funabiki
c.) OBS giveaway
- Ruth Patterson Funabiki
d.) CONNELL �
Mary Jane Kelsey
6. OBS Finances
Jane Kelsey opened a discussion of OBS finances and some possible
ways to increase our budget. Some of the suggestions were:
a.) Grants from
vendors. There is a mechanism for applying for grants through AALL Headquarters
from vendors to support SIS activities. The annual research grant might be
a good candidate for vendor support, especially from either OCLC or RLIN.
The bibliographic utilities may also be persuaded to support OBS Standing
Committee Chairs to attend the annual OCLC and RLIN meetings. Another possibility
may be getting vendor support for the production of the OBS brochure.
b.) Silent auctions.
The idea was discussed for the possibility of an OBS silent auction as is
done by other groups within AALL. Because of the difficulty of arranging for
gift donations and the logistics of holding the auction, it was decided not
to pursue this option for OBS at the present time.
for new members. Because OBS finances are dependent on the number of members,
increasing SIS membership would be an obvious goal for OBS. Suggestions were
made for soliciting new members through law-lib, sending the OBS brochure
to the CONNELL participants from the Orlando meeting and using the business
cards that were dropped off at the OBS Activities table for the raffle as
a potential list of new members.
Jane Kelsey announced that the members of the Nominations Committee
would be Ellen McGrath (Chair), Anna Belle
Leiserson and Susan Chinoransky.
8. The deadline
for the SIS news column in upcoming Spectrum issues is:
September � no
October � August
November � September
December � October