Since 1997 OBS-SIS and TS-SIS have joined together to provide funding for grants for technical services law librarians to perform research that will enhance law librarianship. The FROG (Funding Research Opportunities Grant) Committee is comprised of six (6) members: the chair, a representative-at-large,two representatives from OBS-SIS, and two representatives from TS-SIS. Each representative serves for two years. Representatives are appointed in alternate years so that terms are staggered. The chair is appointed in odd-numbered years by the OBS-SIS and TS-SIS chairs, in consultation with one another. The chair must be a member of both sections. The representative-at-large must be a member of AALL, need not be a member of TS or OBS, and is selected by the FROG chair in her first year to serve a two year term. The chair:
- Follows the guidelines and procedures on the OBS-SIS FROG Committee Information website: http://www.aallnet.org/sections/obs/committees/FROG-Committee
- Consults with the executive boards of OBS-SIS and TS-SIS to determine the actual amount of funds to be made available for research grants each year.
- Promotes the research grants program through notices to the OBS-SIS and TS-SIS online discussions lists at least twice a year, notices in TSLL at least once a year, and a permanent presence on the OBS-SIS and TS-SIS websites.
- Maintains and revises the grant application form, as needed.
- Follows up with grant recipients to see that the required reports are filed, and that goals of the grant have been achieved.
- Submits a written report to both the OBS-SIS and TS-SIS chairs detailing the committee's activities according to the deadline set by the chairs each year.
- Reports briefly on the committee's activities at the OBS-SIS and TS-SIS business meetings.