TS-SIS Long-Time Member Profile:
Library Associate Director
and Head of Technical Services
University of Colorado School of Law
On this page:
Place And Date Of Birth
Spokane, Washington, March 18, 1947
- B.A. Washington State University, 1968 with Distinction
- A.M.L.S. University of Michigan, 1974
- M.A. University of San Diego, 1985
- M.A. University of San Diego, 1989
Mountain climbing, hiking, trail
running, skiing, canoeing, reading, grandmothering.
Inspiration For Becoming A Law Librarian
The work is challenging and
enjoyable. The people who work in libraries are wonderful. My mentors
have been the library directors of the two main libraries of my career:
Nancy Carol Carter and Barbara Bintliff.
Current Position Challenges
Juggling the many different
tasks for which I am responsible, including personnel issues in the
library, quality control of all products from technical services, long
range planning, and running our automation system.
- Head of Technical Services at the University of San Diego
Legal Research Center.
'Crazy' Non-Professional Activity
Climbing the highest mountain on five
continents and most of the highest mountains in the United States
Earliest Childhood Memory
Each day from my toddlerhood to
age 3, my mother took my belovedachshund, Pete, and me to the home of
my German grandmother for daycare. Besides speaking very little
English, this grandmother wouldn’t allow Pete into the house.
(If it was very cold outside, which can happen in Spokane, Pete was
allowed into the root cellar.) I have memories of this very stern
grandmother, but I also remember the lemon drops she gave me and the
kuchenschrank and the special dish where she kept them.
To this day, I
like lemon drops, and I’m proud to own the special dish and
the Kuchenschrank, which was handmade by my grandfather from old wooden
fruit boxes, shortly before he died and before I was born.
Where In Five Years?
Doing the best job possible in my
current library position …and still running up mountains.
- Briscoe, 2004 OBS Membership Survey Results, 29 Technical
Services Law Librarian 19 (2004).
- Briscoe with Karen Selden and Cheryl Nyberg, The Catalog
vs. the Homepage Best Practices in Connecting to Online Resources, 95
Law Library Journal 151. Received the Law Library Journal Article of
the Year Award in 2004. (2003).
- Briscoe (reporter), IUG 2003 Conference Proceedings,
Session J2/P10: Moving to Millennium Acquisitions?, at:
- Briscoe (reporter), IUG 2002 Conference Proceedings,
"Session L6/O5: Implementation of Z39.50 Copy Cataloging and Changes in
Cataloging Workflow", at: www.innovativeusers.org.
- Briscoe, Dilemma of Publisher Giveaways, 13 Against the
Grain 20 (2001).
- Briscoe with Karen Selden, Cataloging @ 2000: Over 100
years of Change at The University of Colorado Law Library, 30
Cataloging and Classification Quarterly, 177 (2000).
- Briscoe, Climb High: High Altitude Mountaineering Lessons
for Librarians, 92 Law Library Journal, 217 (2000).
- Briscoe, http://www.aallnet.org/products/2000-42.pdf
Colorado, Association of Law Libraries Annual Report, 92 Law Library
Journal, Association of Law Libraries Annual Report, 92 Law Library
Journal, 522 (2000).
- Briscoe, Have you Gone Prospecting Lately, 10 CoALL
Scuttle, 15 (2000).