TS-SIS Long-Time Member Profile:
Melody Busse Lembke
Director, Collection Managment Services
LA Law Library
On this page:
Place And Date Of Birth
1951, Batesville, Indiana.
- BA in Communications, 1973, Purdue University, West
- MLS, 1974, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Reading; flower and vegetable gardening; keeping up with college boys even if they don't want me as face book friend.
Inspiration For Becoming A Law Librarian
I was applying for library jobs here in LA along with hundreds per job opening. My husband was in law school so I thought: "why not try law libraries as well as public libraries?" I sent an unsolicited resume to LA Law Library, and I�ve been here every since!
My mentor is Peter Enyingi, the former Technical Services Librarian at LACLL.
Current Position Challenges
Dealing with the everyday changes that new materials and budgetary constraints bring. Retrospective conversion and reclassification.
Melody Busse Lembke has worked at the same institution, LA Law Library since 1974. Her positions have included Cataloging Assistant, Senior Cataloger, and, since 1990, Director, Collection Management Services.
She is a co-author with Rhonda K. Lawrence of: Cataloging Legal Literature: a Manual on AACR2 and Library of Congress Subject Headings for Legal Materials, with Illustrations (AALL publications series, no. 22. 3rd ed. 1997). She has been the compiler of Legal L.C. Subject Headings Weekly Lists (AALL publications series, no.26) since 1990. A one time editor of Technical Services Law Librarian, she has also contributed many articles on description to the newsletter.
'Crazy' Non-Professional Activity
I was on a couple of game shows like Tick, Tack, Dough in the late 70's. On one of the shows Wink Martindale demanded that I do a hog call (I'd been raised on a farm so these city slickers assumed everyone did hog calls). One of the most embarrassing moments of my life!
To do what ever I'm doing as best as I possibly can.
Earliest Childhood Memory
Awakening, lying underneath a bed and feeling trapped.
Where In Five Years?
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL)
- Technical Services Special Interest Section Chair (1984)
- First SIS Council chair
- drafter of the SIS Handbook,
- member of the Executive Director Search Committee (1988)
- member of the Long Range Planning Committee which drafted AALL's first strategic plan, and AALL's Executive Board (1987-1990)
- co-director of the 1992 AALL Cataloging Institute and a former AALL representative to ALCTS CCS Subject Analysis Committee
- Southern California Association of Law Libraries (SCALL)
- Union List of Serials Committee Chair and SCALL Executive Board Member (1985).
- Renee D. Chapman Memorial Award from TSSIS.
- Cataloging Legal Literature was chosen in 1998 as one of “The Year’s Best Professional Reading” by Library Journal.