TS-SIS Long-Time Member Profile:
Carol Avery Nicholson
Assistant Director for Technical Services
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Law Library
On this page:
Place And Date Of Birth
1951, Montgomery, WV.
- B.A. - Hampton Institute, 1973, Major: History
- A.M.L.S - University of Michigan, 1973 (December)
Book Club, walking, church Membership and activities, professional association activities..
Inspiration For Becoming A Law Librarian
I like law and politics. My late father was
my source of inspiration (by the examples that he set). I’ve had
several mentors including Lolly Gasaway, Tim Coggins and Linda Davis.
Current Position Challenges
Electronic resources management and the
impact that increasing reliance on electronic resources will have on
technical services staffing and workflows in general.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kathrine R.
Everett Law Library. Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- Assistant Director for Technical Services. 1995-
- Technical Services Librarian 1985-1995.
- Head of Cataloging Services. 1982-1985.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of
Information and Library Services, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Guest
lecturer, Law Libraries and Legal Resources technical services section.
- North Carolina Central University, School of Law Library,
Durham, North Carolina. Head of Cataloging Department. 1980-1982
- Government Documents Librarian. 1978-1980.
- Duke University, Perkins Library, Durham, North Carolina
- Monographic Cataloger. 1974-1978.
- Reference Librarian. 1976-1978. (dual appointment)
'Crazy' Non-Professional Activity
Catching a bee in my hand when I was a child. (Yes, it stung me!)
I should say that it is my family, but I’m
really like being involved in professional association work. (I only
listed AALL related activities above, there’s more…)
Earliest Childhood Memory
Playing with doll’s with my cousin.
Where In Five Years?
My crystal ball is foggy, but hopefully I will be healthy, happy and leading an active life.
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), member, 1982-present.
- Immediate Past-President, 2003-2004;
- President, 2002-2003;
- Vice-President/President Elect, 2001-2002.
- AALL Executive Board, 2001-2004 and 1995-1998. As member
of Executive Board have served on Finance and Budget Committee,
Strategic Planning Committee, Board Governance Committee, Executive
Director Search Committee and Ad Hoc Committee on Chapter Relations;
serve as Board liaison to various AALL standing committees and
represented the Executive Board with related organizations including
foreign and international law library associations, law-related organizations;
and at various regional chapter meetings.
- George Strait Scholarship Fundraising Committee, Ex
- Law Library Journal and AALL Spectrum Editorial
Board and Advisory Committee, 2000-2001;
- Professional Development Committee,
- 1998-2000; Special Committee to Promote the Development
of Resources for the Legal Information Community,
- 1994-96; AALL Executive Director Search
- 1993; Committee on Minorities, 1991-93,
- 1992-93; Member, Nominations Committee,
- 1987-1990; Advisory Committee on Indexing Legal
- 1986-90. Online Bibliographic Services Special Interest
Section, 1987- Chair, 1988-89, Executive Board,
- 1990-91; Technical Services Special Interest Section,
1985- Served on various committees of both Special Interest Sections,
currently Chair, TS-SIS Serials Committee, 2005-7
- Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section, 2000-
- Southeastern Chapter, American Association of Law
Libraries, member, 1982- present.
- NominationsCommittee Service to SEAALL Award,
2005-2007Chair, 2006-07, 2000-01;
- Service To SEAALL Committee, 2006-07;
- 1995-96; Local Arrangements Committee,
- 2005-06; President,
- 1994-95.; Vice-President/Program Chair,
- 1993-94. Committee member: Education and Public
Relations, 1997-98; Scholarship, Chair, 1999-2000, 1996-97 &
1985-86; Program, 1990-91; Placement, 1991-92; Publications, 1986-89.
- American Bar Association Law Libraries Committee,
- Recipient, Service to SEAALL Award, 2006;
- Carol has been a speaker at AALL, SEAALL and other library
programs; she has written several articles and edited the Law Library
Systems Directory, 2nd edition, a looseleaf published in the AALL
Publication Series by Fred B. Rothman Publications, 2000.
- She now is a joint author of the soon-to-be published
Celebrating Diversity: A Legacy of Minority Leadership in AALL, also
published by Rothman.