TS-SIS Long-Time Member Profile:
Head of Technical Services
Jenkins Law Library
One can not change yesterday but only make most of today and
look forward with hope toward tomorrow" - Anonymous
On this page:
Place And Date Of Birth
Born in Katowice, Poland in year … just do not
- I earned my MIS in 1982 from the University of Silesia,
Poland, and … constantly learning…
Gardening, Travel, Knitting,
Decorating, Outdoor living, Beautiful things.
Inspiration For Becoming A Law Librarian
My first professional job after coming to the U.S. from Poland in 1984
was at Jenkins Law Library, where I found many
“silent” mentors: Regina Smith, Kathy Coon, Peggy
Mahan, Sheila Walker.
Outside my institution: my
Mother, my husband Andrzej, Anne Myers, Georgia Briscoe, and my
neighbor William Kenny will always stay my mentors, whether they know
it or not.
Current Position Challenges
fast moving pace of
technological changes, and trying to stay in the loop of things,
managing people in the constantly changing environment.
- Prior to joining Jenkins staff in 1984 I worked as
Information Specialist in Elektrobudowa, Poland.
- While at Jenkins I have held various positions such as
Cataloger, Head Cataloger and Information Systems Librarian, becoming
Head of Catalog Services in 1997, and Head of Technical Services in
- Since 1988 I have been responsible for Jenkins' Online
Catalog (JAC Plus)
and actively involved in many Jenkins' Internet endeavors.
'Crazy' Non-Professional Activity
Leaving Poland right after martial law ended for 4 days excursion Rome.
Our real reason was to leave Poland - Yes, finally our dream was becoming
reality. It was crazy and scary at the same time. We were going into
the unknown. We were lucky to meet new friends and become a success
Earliest Childhood Memory
Loving to sing along with my mother, while she was doing household
chores. I wasn’t Piechnik then.
Where In Five Years?
I’ll be working with new technologies and paying for my
kids’ Colleges, mucho bucks, – welcome to America J.
I’ll be spending more
time outdoors, preferably traveling with my husband (Yes Honey, I love
you after all those years)
- Innovative User Group (IUG), 1991-present
- Innovative Law User Group (ILUG), 1994-present
- Mid-Atlantic Innovative Users Group, 1998-present
- American Library Association, 2003-present
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), 1985-2002,
- Greater Philadelphia Law Library Association (GPLLA),
- Special Library Association (SLA), 2000-2004
- Serial Catalogers of Philadelphia (SCOP), 1996-1999
- Online Computer Library Center (OCLC), 1985-present
- AALL SCCLL GRANTS COMMITTEE, 2005-2006
- Implementing Serials Solutions into Millennium, Presented with Sheila
Walker. Mid-Atlantic Innovative Users Group 2005 Conference, October
or not to Turnkey: This is the Question. Innovative Users
Group 2005 Conference, May 3, 2005
Licensing and the Relevant Fair Use Issues. Presented with
Linda-Jean Schneider and Catherine Monte, January 7, 2003
Competencies for Law Library Support Staff. AALL
Online Bibliographic Services SIS ad Hoc Committee, August, 2000
for Librarians - since 1999. Teaching.
- CLE Business/News Resources; CLE Business Resources on the
Internet co-sponsored by PBI (Pennsylvania Bar Institute) and Jenkins
Law Library, 1999-2000
- CLE Internet Basics co-sponsored by PBI and Jenkins Law