Chair Rosalie Sanderson called the meeting to order at 7:15 a.m.
Rosalie noted that 180 people signed up for this year's breakfast meeting, but fewer than 180 attended the meeting. She noted that Lexis covered the entire cost of the food for the breakfast meeting.
The minutes of the 2001 Business Meeting were approved as posted in the Fall 2001 newsletter.
The balance in the Section's account is $14,598.43. This figure does not reflect costs associated with the Orlando conference or the 2002 election.
Bonnie was in charge of the 2002 election since Beth Smith, the current Secretary/Treasurer, was a candidate. Sally Wise was elected Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect and Kit Krelick was elected Secretary/Treasurer.
Rosalie thanked Lexis for helping with the three breakfasts at the annual meeting, and she thanked West for covering the cost of the food and transportation for the ALL-SIS reception.
This year, under Mark Bernstein's leadership, the strategic plan was completed. Billie Jo Kaufman was appointed the Section's liaison to the Association of American Law Schools. Pauline Aranas was appointed liaison to the ABA Section of Legal Education, Law Libraries Committee. Under Sue Burch's lead, a new ALL-SIS brochure was completed. The section developed an outstanding selection of educational programs. Under the leadership of Jim Heller, a CONALL program focusing on legal research instruction will be held later today. Rosalie appointed tasks forces for Advanced Legal Research; Collection Development; and Law Library Journal Support by Libraries.
This year's Hicks Award goes to Dick Danner, and the Outstanding Article award goes to Jessie Cranford and Melissa Serfass. The Awards Committee made recommendations for possible future awards.
a. Education Committee – Carole Hinchcliff
The Education Committee had handouts of program proposals for 2003.
b. Awards – Tory Trotta
There were two nominations this year for the Outstanding Article Award and eight nominations for the Hicks Award. The committee recommends an additional award for innovations in middle management.
c. Continuing Status / Tenure – Leah Sandwell-Weiss
The committee hopes to post information on the ALL-SIS web site, such as links to continuing status / tenure policies at various universities. Leah made an announcement about the committee's roundtable scheduled for Monday evening.
d. Education – Tim Coggins
Tim thanked committee members and Tory Trotta and Pauline Aranas for their help this past year. He announced the programs scheduled for the Orlando meeting.
e. Local Arrangements
Rosalie thanked Rebecca Trammell for her work with local arrangements.
f. Director's Breakfast – Sally Wise
Sally announced that the speakers for this year's Directors Breakfast are Tracy Thompson of NELLCO (regarding the rising costs of electronic subscriptions) and Billie Jo Kauffman (Chair of the AALS library committee) and Dick Danner (AALS board member).
g. Newsletter – Shaun Esposito
Shaun announced that three issues of the newsletter were published this year. He anticipates publishing three issues this year. He would like to have more photographs in the newsletter and maybe a photo archive on the web site. He thanked Leah Sandwell-Weiss for her work in putting the newsletter on the ALL-SIS web site.
h. Public Relations
Rosalie spoke for Sue Burch, who was unable to attend. This year, the section has a new brochure, as well as tables in the Activities Area of the Exhibit Hall and the CONELL Marketplace.
a. Relations with Vendors – Nancy McMurrer
The committee has drafted a document describing an ideal relationship with Westlaw and Lexis. The committee has received feedback from Westlaw and Lexis and will discuss the document at the roundtable. They invited other lower-cost vendors to attend the roundtable.
b. Statistics – Mila Rush
The committee will have a roundtable Tuesday afternoon. Pauline Aranas will be a speaker at the roundtable.
c. Legal Research
Rosalie announced that the legal research roundtable will be Monday evening. Discussions will be led by this year's Advanced Legal Research task force, and Pauline Aranas and Carole Hinchcliff will discuss what their schools are doing with respect to legal research instruction.
a. Support for Law Journals – Paul George
The task force sent out a survey. 43 schools responded. Work on this project will be continued, and the results will be posted on the ALL-SIS web site. At this point, their recommendations are in draft form.
b. Collection Development – Margie Axtmann
The task force compiled a list of selection tools, which is still in draft form. They are evaluating tools for collection analysis, which is still in process. They are considering ways to make this information available, such as a Collection Development page on the ALL-SIS web site. They are also compiling a list of law librarians with primary responsibility for Collection Development.
Jim Heller announced a CONALL program on legal research today from 11:45-1:00.
Margie Axtmann, a member of AALL's Future of Law Libraries in the Digital Age committee, announced that the committee's final report has been submitted to the AALL Executive Board, and some recommendations have been adopted.
a. Proposed By-laws Amendment – Ann Puckett
The proposed by-laws amendment deals with succession in case of vacancy of the chair. Copies of the proposed by-laws amendment were available at the meeting. The amendment was adopted by voice vote of those present at the meeting. There were no votes in opposition to its adoption.
Tory Trotta, Annual Meeting Program Chair, encouraged everyone to attend programs, especially the plenary sessions.
Ruth Hill, 2003 Annual Meeting Program Chair, invited everyone to attend an Open Forum on Tuesday regarding program submissions.
Merle introduced the new chairs of committees and task forces. She announced the creation of a legal research committee, which will include subcommittees on the CALI Research Project and Advanced Legal Research. She also announced the creation of three new task forces: BNA pricing issue; web content and redesign; and education (which will address alternatives to educational programs at the Annual Meeting). All committees and task forces are charged with thinking about making their information available on the web site.
Merle has been working with the incoming chairs of other SISes. The ALL-SIS will have liaisons with CS-SIS, RIPS-SIS and TS-SIS to attend each other's business meetings, to become a member of each other's listservs, and to make reports of projects the SISes can work on together.
The statistics roundtable will become a committee this year. The Awards Committee has recommended additional awards. This year they will be charged with making a fuller report and with expanding Awards to Awards & Scholarships.
All committees will be charged to contribute to at least one issue of the newsletter this year.
This year, the implementation of the ALL-SIS strategic plan will begin.
The next issue of the newsletter will be the last one published in print. Merle plans to send monthly announcements to members via the ALL-SIS listserv.
The meeting was adjourned.