2008 Annual Meeting Information
Here is the full slate of TS-SIS programs and meetings to be held in Portland. As you plan your schedule for the meeting, please consider staying for all of Tuesday's programs. Our colleagues who are presenting on Tuesday afternoon deserve an audience as well. The TS-SIS Education committee also heard your concerns regarding the over-scheduling that occurred at the New Orleans meeting. To be sure, some valuable lessons were learned at that meeting. It is hoped that we have struck the proper balance between programs and meetings.
The TS-SIS Business Meeting will be held Sunday, July 13, 2008, 5:30-6:30 p.m. in Oregon Convention Center, Room F149.
- Get the Business Meeting Agenda
- Annual Reports
- MARBI Representative (added 7/9/2008)
- SAC Representative (added 7/7/2008)
- CC:DA Representative (added 7/3/2008)
- Preservation Standing Committee (added 6/23/2008)
- Exchange of Duplicates Program (added 6/20/2008)
- Serials Standing Committee (added 6/20/2008; revised 6/23/2008)
- OBS/TS Joint Research Grant Committee (added 6/17/2008)
- Acquisitions Committee / Roundtable (added 6/17/2008)
- Education Committee (added 6/15/2008)
- Awards Committee (added 6/15/2008)
- Vice-Chair/Chair Elect (added 6/15/2008)
- Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee (added 6/15/2008)
- Nominating Committee (added 6/15/2008)
- Member at Large: Whited (added 6/15/2008)
- Member at Large: Brigandi (added 6/15/2008)
- Secretary/Treasurer (added 6/15/2008)
- Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Development (added 6/15/2008)
- Task Force on Electronic Communication (added 6/15/2008)
TS-SIS Activities Table
Volunteer at the TS-SIS Activities Table.
The Technical Services Special Interest Section is sponsoring an activities table in the Exhibit Hall at the 2008 AALL Annual Meeting in Portland. It's fun to be at the table to meet your old friends and greet new colleagues who come by to see what makes TS The SPECIAL Interest Section that it is!
Planning for the 2009 AALL Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
Join us at the TS-SIS Education Committee Meeting
Monday, July 14, 2008, noon-1:15 p.m.
Oregon Convention Center, Room A109
The TS-SIS Education Committee program ideas for the 2009 Washington D.C. annual meeting. Feel free to send program ideas to any Education Committee member listed below. The Committee plans to finalize TS-SIS proposals for the 2009 meeting at the 2008 Portland meeting. The deadline for submitting proposals to AALL for next year's meeting is August 15, 2008.
In order to have the most carefully thought out and well prepared proposals we need to devote more than just 2 or 3 weeks to preparing them. The Annual Meeting Program Committee is more inclined to select proposals that are completely fleshed out, with speakers in place when the proposal is submitted. You are encouraged to submit ideas to committee members BEFORE this year's annual meeting. TS-SIS is open to collaborating with other SIS's. For help in preparing proposals and finding program ideas, print out and consult the 2009 Program Planner's Handbook (1.5 MB PDF).
The theme for the 2009 meeting is Innovate 2.0. See incoming AALL President James Duggan's description.
Plan to attend the Education Committee meeting in Portland on Monday, July 14, 2008 from noon-1:15 p.m.
Members of the 2009 TS-SIS Education Committee are:
- Karen B. Douglas, Duke, chair
- Linda Tesar, Vice Chair/Chair-Elect of TS-SIS, Vanderbilt, ex-officio member
- Ajaye Bloomstone, Acquisitions Committee chair, LSU
- Karen Nuckolls, Cataloging Committee chair, University of Kentucky
- Marilyn Estes, Preservation Committee chair, American University
- Carol Avery Nicholson, Serials Committee chair, UNC Chapel Hill
- Sean Chen, Duke
- Miriam Childs, State Law Library of Louisiana
- Brandi Ledferd, K&∓L Gates law firm, Seattle, Washington
2008 program planning links on this page:
- James Duggan's theme description
- Program Planners Handbook
AALL Annual Meeting/Workshop Grants
Following are the recipients of TS-SIS grants to attend the Portland Annual Meeting.
- Jennifer Tsai is the recipient of the second TS-SIS Marla Schwartz Grant to support her attendance at CONELL. Jennifer is Head of Technical Services at the Golden Gate University Law Library. She is also the recipient of a TS-SIS Grant to attend the conference.
- Hollie White is the recipient of a TS-SIS Grant to attend the conference. Hollie is a PhD candidate in Information Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Chris Pickford is the recipient of a TS-SIS Grant to attend the conference. Chris is the Catalog Librarian at the San Diego County Public Law Library.
TS-SIS Sponsored Educational Programs
Descriptions for the TS-SIS educational programs and roundtables are available.
- OCC = Oregon Convention Center
- Wirelss access "casual service" is available in most common areas at $9.95 per 24-hour period. The service, 128 Kbps with 24 x 7 telephone technical support, is intended for checking e-mail and light web surfing. Service is not available in exhibit halls or meeting rooms and is not intended for business or presentation use.
Friday, July 11, 2008
- 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. — Workshop W1 (F): Immerse Yourself: Swim, Don't Sink--Introduction to Law Cataloging — OCC, Room C124 [Description]
Saturday, July 12, 2008
- 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. — Workshop W1 (S): Immerse Yourself: Swim, Don't Sink--Introduction to Law Cataloging — OCC, Room C124 [Description]
- 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. — Workshop W2: Yikes! What's in this Box? Managing Archive Collections — OCC, Room C125/126 [Description]
- 11:45 p.m.-5:30 p.m. — Workshop W5: Amazing Technical Services: the Director's Cut —OCC, Rooms C120-122 [Description]
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. — Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Development — OCC, Room A101
- 5:15-6:15 p.m. — Joint Research Grant Committee Meeting (OBS-SIS and TS-SIS) — OCC, Room B119
- 5:30-7:00 p.m. — Executive Board Meeting, 2007/2008 — OCC, Room A101
- 7:00-8:30 p.m. — TS/OBS/RIPS/CS-SIS Joint Reception (Sponsored by Innovative Interfaces, Inc.) — OCC, Skyview Terrace
- 8:30-10:30 p.m. — Opening Reception/Dessert Extravaganza — OCC, Oregon Ballroom
Sunday, July 13, 2008
- 9:00 a.m. — Exhibit Hall Ribbon Cutting — OCC, Exhibit Hall (CD)
- 10:15-11:45 a.m. — Opening General Session / Keynote Speaker — OCC, Portland Ballroom 254-257
- 12:00-1:15 p.m.
- Heads of Cataloging in Large Libraries Roundtable — OCC, Room B117
- New Catalogers Roundtable — OCC, Room C122
- Website Advisory Roundtable — OCC, ROom C120
- 1:30-2:45 p.m.
- Program A-5: Enterprise, Primo and WorldCat Local: Explore the Evolving Discovery Tools for Your Catalog (OBS-SIS) — OCC, Portland Ballroom 254 [Description]
- 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- TS-SIS Program: The Role of Print Repositories in an Electronic Age — OCC, Room B114 [Description]
- 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. — Business Meeting and Awards — OCC, Room F149
Monday, July 14, 2008
- 7:00-8:30 a.m.
- Acquisitions Standing Committee Meeting and Acquisitions Roundtable — OCC, Room B115
- Cataloging & Classification Standing Committee Meeting — OCC, Room F149 [Agenda]
- TSLL Board Meeting — OCC, Room C122
- 9:45-10:30 a.m. — Program E5: Exploring Relevancy Ranking Systems in Search Engines on the Web and in our OPACs: What They Are--How They Work — OCC, Portland Ballroom 254 [Description]
- 10:45 a.m.-11:45 a.m.
- Preservation Standing Committee Meeting and Preservation and Binding Roundtable — OCC, Room D137
- Technical Services Management Issues Roundtable — OCC, Room F149
- 12:00-1:15 p.m.
- Education Committee 2008/2009 Meeting — OCC, Room A109
- Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group Meeting — OCC, Room D138
- 12:00-1:30 p.m. — Special Committee on Record Sharing (OBS-SIS) — OCC, Room A104 [Description]
- 4:00-5:15 p.m.
- Program G-3: The Future of Subject Access in the 21st Century — OCC, Portland Ballroom 252 [Description]
- 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Cataloging and Classification Roundtable — OCC, Room B113 [Agenda]
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
- 7:00-8:45 a.m. — Research Roundtable (OBS-SIS and TS-SIS) — OCC, Room D135
- 7:30-8:45 a.m.
- Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group — OCC, Room A109
- Membership Committee Meeting — OCC, VIP Suite (D)
- Serials Standing Committee Meeting — OCC, Room D133 [Agenda]
- 9:00-10:30 a.m. — Program H-2: Thinking Outside the Box: How Developing Electronic Serial Standards Can Add Fiber to Your Library's Diet — OCC, Portland Ballroom 251 [Description]
- 9:30-10:30 a.m. — OCLC/RLIN Committee Update (OBS-SIS) — OCC, Room D140 [Agenda]
- 10:45-11:45 a.m.
- 12:00-1:30 p.m.
- Task Force on Standards for Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records Meeting — OCC, Room D134
- Rare Book Cataloging Roundtable — OCC, Room D133 [Agenda]
- SIRSI/Dynix Law Users Roundtable (OBS-SIS) — OCC, Room E144
- Voyager Law Users Roundtable (OBS-SIS) — OCC, Room B114
- 2:45-4:00 p.m. — TS-SIS Program: Energize Personnel in the Library: Managing Difficult and Change-Resistant Staff Members — OCC, Room F149 [Description]
- 2:45-4:00 p.m. — Program J-2: Explore the Effective Use of Cataloger's Desktop and Classification Web — OCC Portland Ballroom 255 [Description] (previously listed as two separate programs)
- 4:15-5:15 p.m. — Executive Board Meeting 2008/2009 — OCC, Room C126