2010 Annual Meeting Information
Here is the slate of TS-SIS programs and meetings to be held in Denver, Colorado during the 2010 AALL Annual Meeting, July 10-13, 2010. The TS-SIS Education Committee is pleased to announce that TS-SIS will be sponsoring or co-sponsoring eleven programs and one "Hot Topic" program. Many thanks to Carol Avery Nicholson, Education Committee chair, and the members of the committee for providing such excellent programming for Denver!
The TS-SIS Business Meeting will be held Sunday, July 11, 2010, 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the Hyatt-Centennial Ballroom G.
- Get the Business Meeting Agenda
- Get the 2009 Business Meeting Minutes (Washington, D.C. meeting)
- Annual Reports
- CC:DA Representative (added 7/8/2010)
- MARBI Representative (added 7/7/2010)
- SAC Representative (added 7/7/2010)
- Report of the Law Genre/Form Editorial Group (Cataloging and Classification Committee) (40 KB PDF) (added 7/7/2010)
- Technical Services Law Librarian (added 7/2/2010)
- Nominating Committee (added 7/2/2010)
- OBS/TS Joint Research Grant Committee (added 7/1/2010)
- Education Committee (added 7/1/2010)
- Chair's Report to AALL (added 7/1/2010)
- Bylaws Committee (added 6/29/2010)
- Membership Committee (added 6/29/2010)
- Serials Standing Committee (added 6/29/2010)
- Project COUNTER Task Group (added 6/29/2010)
- Exchange of Duplicates Program (added 6/29/2010)
- Secretary/Treasurer (added 6/29/2010)
- Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee (added 6/28/2010)
- Acquisitions Committee / Roundtable (added 6/28/2010)
- Awards Committee (added 6/28/2010)
- Member at Large: Roeske (added 6/28/2010)
- Professional Development Committee (added 6/28/2010)
- Vice-Chair/Chair Elect (added 6/28/2010)
TS-SIS Activities Table
Volunteer at the TS-SIS Activities Table.
The Technical Services Special Interest Section is sponsoring an activities table in the Exhibit Hall at the 2010 AALL Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado. It's fun to be at the table to meet your old friends and greet new colleagues who come by to see what makes TS The SPECIAL Interest Section that it is! Volunteer Now!
Silent Auction at Activities Table
This year TS-SIS is sponsoring a silent action to promote and raise money for the Marla Schwartz Grants. These grants enable law librarians to attend conferences. If you would like to contribute an item to the auction send an e-mail to Katrina Piechnik ( firstname.lastname@example.org ). In the e-mail include a description of the item you are donating AND the minimum bid. Bring your item to the TS-SIS activities table in Denver (do not ship it to Katrina). Questions? Contact Katrina or any other TS-SIS Executive Board Member. Contributions may be tax deductible. This opportunity is open to all AALL Members. Donations, some handmade, so far include:
- The Eagle Bird: Mapping a New West (hardcover book)
- Crossing the Next Meridian: Land, Water, and the Future of the West (hardcover book)
- One dozen handmade greeting cards
- Ceramic book box (old leather binding look)
- Ceramic colorful flower vase
- Green ceramic goblet
- Felted bookmark
Planning for the 2011 AALL Annual Meeting to be held July 23-26 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Have you ever attended a program that piqued your curiosity about other topics that should be presented to the membership? Have you ever wondered how these programs come to be? It all begins with an idea and a proposal form!
Join us at the TS-SIS Education Committee Meeting
Monday, July 12, 2010, noon-1:15 p.m.
Colorado Convention Center, Room 206
The TS-SIS Education Committee is ready to accept program, topic, and workshop ideas from the membership for presentation at the 2011 AALL Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 23-26. Now is the time to begin planning and developing your program and workshop ideas, and the Education Committee is more than willing to assist you in this endeavor. If requesting sponsorship or co-sponsorship from TS-SIS, the deadline for submission of your program, topic, or workshop proposal to the Education Committee is August 16, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. PDT.
This is the time to begin the proposal process, which ends with proposal submission to the Annual Meeting Program Committee (AMPC) on September 15, 2010, at 11:59 p.m. CST. It is not a long time period from now until then, so the time to begin on your proposal is now. There are a variety of timeslots from which to choose: workshops of 1 or 2 day length and program slots of 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90 minutes.
Unlike our annual meetings of the past, there is no theme announced for the Philadelphia meeting, just a strong effort to get the best programs and workshops possible. Programs can be sponsored by TS-SIS and be co-sponsored by another SIS or committee also. The general process is as follows:
- The Program Planner's Handbook is now available (1.3 MB PDF).
- The handbook will contain instructions with step-by-step guidelines for using the online website to create your proposal.
- Proposals do not have to be created and finished all at once. You will have the opportunity to save your work and return to it as often as you need to in order to complete the proposal.
- If requesting TS-SIS sponsorship (or an additional co-sponsor), identify that group as such on the proposal.
- When you have completed your proposal, if you are requesting sponsorship from TS-SIS, do not hit the "SUBMIT" button, but click instead on the "SHARE" button and enter Ajaye Bloomstone's address (email@example.com); your proposal will then be forwarded to and reviewed by the TS-SIS Education Committee. A Committee member will be back in touch with you to discuss your proposal before the AMPC proposal deadline, and you will be asked to submit your final proposal to AMPC by their final submission date.
- NOTE: Do not click on the "SUBMIT" button until you have heard back from the TS-SIS Education Committee. Clicking on "SUBMIT" will immediately forward your proposal to AMPC in which case it cannot be retrieved and/or revised.
When will TS-SIS notify people about sponsorship?
The TS-SIS Education Committee will notify everyone who has requested TS sponsorship by 5:00 p.m. (CST) on August 27, 2010, as to whether the SIS will sponsor your program. Following that notification, your proposal can be submitted to AMPC for consideration. Optionally, individuals can choose to submit programs to AMPC directly without TS-SIS sponsorship.
Please plan to attend the TS-SIS Education Committee meeting, Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:00 -1:15 pm, in the Colorado Convention Center, Room 206.
We look forward to working with you to submit the best program possible!
Members of the 2010 TS-SIS Education Committee are:
- Ajaye Bloomstone
Louisiana State University
- Eric Parker
Acquisitions Standing Committee
- George Prager
Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee
New York University
- Shyama Agrawal
Serials Standing Committee
- Marilyn Estes
Preservation Standing Committee
- Pam Deemer
- Ismael Gullon
- Suzanne Graham
University of Georgia
- Edward Hart
University of Florida
- Alan Keely
Wake Forest University
2011 program planning links on this page:
- Program Planners Handbook
- AALL proposal submission web site
AALL Annual Meeting Educational Grants
The following are recipients of TS-SIS grants to cover program registration fees to attend the Denver, Colorado Annual Meeting.
- Ajaye Bloomstone, Louisiana State University Law Center Library.
- Amanda Quist, San Diego County Public Law Library, is the fourth recipient of the TS-SIS Marla Schwartz Grant to support her attendance at CONELL. Amanda also received a program registration grant.
- Courtney Selby, University of Tulsa, Mabee legal Information Center.
- Caroline Young, Rutgers University (Newark) Law Library.
TS-SIS Sponsored Educational Programs
Descriptions for the TS-SIS educational programs and roundtables are available.
Use My Conference Planner to organize their daily schedules at the Annual Meeting.
- CCC = Colorado Convention Center
- Wireless access: AALL is pleased to announce a partnership with Gold Sponsor, BNA, to provide the wireless connection in the meeting rooms, the general concourse outside of meeting rooms and the registration area in the Colorado Convention Center. Thank you to BNA for this wireless opportunity in conjunction with their sponsorship of the Internet Room on the exhibit floor. NOTE: Wi-Fi access is available for purchase at the Hyatt Regency (headquarters hotel) for use in guest rooms and the Strata lobby lounge only. (Wi-Fi is not available in meeting rooms at the Hyatt.)
Saturday, July 10, 2010
- 3:00-4:00 p.m. — ALL-SIS Collection Development Committee Meeting — Hyatt-Agate A
- 3:30-4:45 p.m. — Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group Meeting — Hyatt-Centennial Ballroom B
- 4:00-5:00 p.m. — Professional Development Committee Meeting — Hyatt-Granite B
- 5:00-6:15 p.m. — Descriptive Cataloging Advisory Policy Working Group Meeting — Hyatt-Centennial Ballroom B
- 5:30-7:00 p.m. — Executive Board Meeting 2009-2010 (outgoing) — Hyatt-Quartz A
- 7:00-8:00 p.m. — TS/OBS/RIPS/CS-SIS Joint Reception (sponsored by Innovative Interfaces) — Hyatt-Centennial Ballroom F
Sunday, July 11, 2010
- 8:00-8:45 a.m. — Membership Committee Meeting — CCC-Room 204
- 12:00-1:15 p.m. — TS-SIS Program: Hot Topic Program: New Faces of Resource-Sharing– SkyRiver and USS, Just to Name Two! — CCC-Room 109 [Description]
- 12:00-1:00 p.m. — Web Site Advisory Roundtable — Hyatt-Granite B
- 1:30-2:45 p.m.
- TS-SIS Program: What's in a Name: CORE and I-2, New Standards to Improve Efficiency in the Electronic Resources Environment — CCC-Room 109 [Description]
- Aleph Users Group Meeting (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 1
- EOSI Users Group Meeting (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 2
- InMagic Users Group Meeting (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 3
- Sirsi/Dynix Users Group Meeting (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 7
- Softlink Users Group (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 5
- Voyager Users Group Meeting (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 6
- 3:00-4:00 p.m. — Program B3: Open Source ILS: What a Service-Oriented System Brings to You and Your Library — CCC-Room 201-203 [Description]
- 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Program C5: Catalogers Today: Skill Sets, Expectations and Challenges — CCC-Room 601-603 [Description]
- Heads of Systems Roundtable (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Mineral C
- 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Business Meeting and Awards — Hyatt-Centennial Ballroom G
- OCLC Roundtable (OBS-SIS) — CCC-Room 109
Monday, July 12, 2010
- 7:00-8:30 a.m.
- Acquistions Standing Committee/Roundtable Meeting — CCC-Room 604
- Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee Meeting — Hyatt-Centennial Ballroom AB
- 8:45-9:45 a.m. — Program D4: SKOS and HIVE: Enhancing the Creation, Design and Flow of Information — CCC-Room 205-207 [Description]
- 10:00-10:30 a.m. — Program E5: Bringing Increased Efficiency to Technical Services: Is EOCR for You? — CCC-Room 601-603 [Description]
- 10:45-11:45 a.m.
- TS-SIS Program: The Ever-Evolving World of Vendor-Supplied MARC Records — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 4 [Description]
- OCLC Committee Update (OBS-SIS) — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 5/6
- Preservation Standing Committee/Preservation and Binding Roundtable — CCC-Room 202
- 12:00-1:15 p.m.
- Education Committee Meeting (incoming) — CCC-Room 206
- Heads of Cataloging Roundtable — CCC-Room 602
- New Catalogers Roundtable — Hyatt-Granite ABC
- 4:00-5:15 p.m.
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. — Cataloging and Classification Roundtable — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 5-7
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
- 7:30-8:45 a.m. — Serials Standing Committee Meeting — CCC-Room 608
- 9:00-10:00 a.m. — Collection Development Roundtable (ALL-SIS) — CCC-Room 602
- 9:00-10:30 a.m. — Program H4: The Semantic Web and RDA: Making the Catalog a Networked Bibliographic Environment — CCC-Room 205-207 [Description]
- 10:45-11:30 a.m.
- Program I5: Charting New Roles for Technical Services: Faculty Publications and Institutional Repositories — CCC-Room 601-603 [Description]
- TSLL Board Meeting (TS/OBS-SIS) — CCC-Room 202
- 11:45 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Joint Research Grant Committee Meeting (OBS-SIS and TS-SIS) — CCC-Room 204
- Rare Book Cataloging Roundtable — Hyatt-Capitol Ballroom 1
- Task Force on Standards for Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records Meeting — CCC-Room 608
- 2:15-3:15 p.m. — TS-SIS Program: How Are We To Accomplish That Much More With That Much Less? — CCC-Room 107 [Description]
- 3:15-4:00 p.m. — Technical Services Management Issues Roundtable — CCC-Room 107
- 3:30-4:00 p.m. — Collection Development Tools: From 'Tried and True' to 'Spiffy and New!' (ALL-SIS Program) — CCC Rm 108-112 [Description]
- 4:15-5:15 p.m. — Executive Board Meeting 2010-2011 (incoming) — Hyatt-Agate C