2012 Annual Meeting Information
Here is the slate of TS-SIS programs and meetings to be held in Boston, Massachusetts during the 2012 AALL Annual Meeting, July 21-24, 2012. The 2012 TS-SIS Education Committee is pleased to announce that TS-SIS will be sponsoring or co-sponsoring one workshop and nine programs. Many thanks to James Mumm, Education Committee chair, and the members of the committee for providing such excellent programming for Philadelphia!
Contribute to the TS-SIS blog by sending a message to:
readersguide.dcblog [at] blogspot.com
Business and Awards Meeting
The TS-SIS Business and Awards Meeting will be held Sunday, July 22, 2012, 5:15-6:15 p.m. in the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center, Room 205.
- Get the Business Meeting Agenda
- Get the 2011 Business Meeting Minutes (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania meeting)
- Annual Reports
- Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group (Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee) (added 8/5/2012)
- CC:DA Representative (added 8/1/2012)
- MARBI Representative (added 7/30/2012)
- Member at Large: Richard Paone (added 7/22/2012)
- Chair's Report to AALL (added 7/16/2012; revised 7/25/2012)
- Technical Services Law Librarian (added 7/16/2012)
- Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee (added 7/13/2012)
- SAC Representative (added 7/12/2012)
- Awards Committee (added 7/3/2012)
- Membership Committee (added 7/3/2012)
- Serials Standing Committee (added 6/27/2012)
- Education Committee (added 6/27/2012)
- Nominating Committee (added 6/26/2012)
- OBS/TS Joint Research Grant Committee (added 6/26/2012)
- Member at Large: Suzanne Graham (added 6/10/2012)
- Preservation Committee (added 6/10/2012)
- Acquisitions Committee (added 6/10/2012)
- TS-SIS Annual Meeting VIP
Paul E. Frank is the section's 2012 Annual Meeting VIP. He is a cooperative cataloging specialist on the Cooperative Cataloging Team (Coop Team) at the Library of Congress. Paul began his career at the Library of Congress in 1993 on the Central and Eastern European Languages Team in the Social Sciences Cataloging Division, working primarily with Russian- and Hungarian-language materials; from 1997-2002 he cataloged music on the Music and Sound Recordings Team I in the Special Materials Cataloging Division. Beginning in 2002, Paul assisted the Cooperative Cataloging Team as a "Coop Team associate" and in 2004, he joined the team as a full-time specialist. He currently works with cooperative partners participating in the SACO (Subject Authority Cooperative Program) and NACO (Name Authority Cooperative Program) components of the PCC (Program for Cooperative Cataloging).
TS-SIS Activities Table
The Technical Services Special Interest Section is sponsoring an activities table in the Exhibit Hall at the 2012 AALL Annual Meeting in Boston. It's fun to be at the table to meet your old friends and greet new colleagues who come by to see what makes TS The SPECIAL Interest Section that it is!
Gift Card Winners: TS-SIS held drawings for two $25 Amazon gift cards during the 2012 annual meeting. The winner of the CONELL drawing was Theodore (Ted) Pitts, Cataloger, Fordham University Law Library. The winner of the drawing held at the TS-SIS activities table on July 24 was Marie Stefanini Newman, Director and Professor of Law, Pace Law School Library (photo: Carol Collins with the winning entry). Thanks to all who participated in the drawings and visited the TS-SIS activities table!
Preservation Committee members will also be present at various time at the activities table. The committee is sponsoring a photograph contest to discover the worst book ever -- not the worst book you ever read but rather the book that is in the worst physical condition. There is no publication date restriction. No condition will be excluded. We want to see it all -- water and temperature damage, mold, insect and pests infestation, atmospheric pollutants, age, food -- everything. "Winner" of the $150 prize to be announced at noon on Saturday, July 21.
And, pickup your blue or white "TS-Preservation" cap at the activities table beginning at noon on Sunday, July 22, while supplies last-- once you don it you will be inspired to start preserving collections!
Preservation Committee members will also answer preservation questions and provide promotions, handouts, and prizes at the table. Preservation Committee members who would like to volunteer at the table should directly contact Sally Wambold, Chair, at swambold [at] richmond.edu.
Silent Auction at Activities Table
This year TS-SIS is again sponsoring a silent action to promote and raise money for the Marla Schwartz Grants. These grants enable law librarians to attend conferences. If you would like to contribute an item to the auction send an e-mail to Richard Paone (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the e-mail include a description of the item you are donating AND the minimum bid. Bring your item to the TS-SIS activities table in Boston (do not ship it to Richard). Questions? Contact Richard or any other TS-SIS Executive Board Member. Contributions may be tax deductible. This opportunity is open to all AALL Members.
Planning for the 2013 AALL Annual Meeting
to be held July 13-16 in Seattle, Washington
Have you ever attended a program that piqued your curiosity about other topics that should be presented to the membership? Have you ever wondered how these programs come to be? It all begins with an idea and a proposal form!
Join us at the TS-SIS Education Committee Meeting
Monday, July 23, 2012, 12:00-1:00 p.m.
The theme of the 2013 Annual Meeting in Seattle, "Rethink Your Value," will challenge all of us to embrace the changes occurring every day both in our institutions and in our roles and responsibilities as legal information professionals. The programming being planned for the Annual Meeting in Seattle will give librarians the tools necessary to advocate their value and transform their roles in their workplaces.As part of the planning process, the Call for Proposals will go out after the Boston meeting. Opening at a later date than usual, it gives proposers a chance to focus on developing programs on timely topics to meet the emerging needs of members. The deadline to submit proposals to AALL will be October 15. Watch for more information about the proposal submission process.
The TS-SIS Education Committee will hold an open meeting in Boston on Monday, July 24, in the in the Sheraton Hotel, Jefferson Room, from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. to discuss the process of proposal creation, submission, and ideas that you may have. (Check for updated room assignments in the final program.) Committee members will always be available to work with you to submit the best program possible. So please bring your ideas and join us for the meeting!
Members of the 2013 TS-SIS Education Committee are:
- James Mumm
Education Committee Chair
- Ajaye Bloomstone
Louisiana State University
- Miriam Childs
Law Library of Louisiana
Louisiana Supreme Court
- Christine K. Dulaney
- Jolande Goldberg
Library of Congress
- Trina Holloway
Acquisitions Committee Chair
Georgia State University
- Connie Lenz
University of Minnesota
- Jackie Magagnosc
Cornell Law Library
- Wendy Moore
Serials Committee Chair
University of Georgia
Alexander Campbell King Law Library
- Jennifer Noga
Wake Forest University
- Natalie Palermo
Louisiana State University
- George Prager
Cataloging and Classification Committee Chair
New York University Law Library
- Lauren Seney
Preservation Committee Chair
- Cindy Spadoni
- Brian Striman
TS-SIS Vice Chair / Chair-Elect
University of Nebraska
TS-SIS Sponsored Educational Programs
Descriptions for the TS-SIS educational programs and roundtables are available.
Send updates/corrections to: Martin Wisneski, Washburn University Law Library)
Use My Conference Planner to organize your daily schedule at the Annual Meeting.
Saturday, July 21, 2012
- 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. – Innovative Law Users Group – Sheraton-Commonwealth
- 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. – Workshop W1: RDA for Law Catalogers – HCC-Room 207 [Description]
- 5:00–6:30 p.m. – Exhibit Hall Ribbon Cutting/Opening Reception – HCC-Exhibit Hall, Level 2
- 7:00-9:00 p.m. – TS/OBS/RIPS/CS-SIS Joint Reception (sponsored by Innovative Interfaces) – Sheraton-Outdoor Patio (5th Floor near the pool)
Sunday, July 22, 2012
- 7:00-8:30 a.m. – Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee – HCC-Room 202
- 10:00 a.m. – Exhibit Hall Opens
- 10:45-11:45 a.m. – Program A4: E-Stats Collection for Your Non-Stacks Collection – HCC-Room 304 [Description]
- Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Executive Board Meeting 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 (outgoing and incoming) – HCC-Room 204
- New Catalogers Roundtable – Sheraton-Gardner AB
- 1:30-2:30 p.m. – TS-SIS Program: Creating Legal Subject Headings – HCC-Room 202 [Description]
- 2:45–3:45 p.m. – Exhibit Hall Break
- 3:45-5:00 p.m. – Program C2: Launching into RDA: The New Frontier – HCC-Room 306 [Description]
- 5:15-6:15 p.m. – Business and Awards Meeting – HCC-Room 205
- 5:45-6:45 p.m. – Collection Development Committee Meeting (ALL-SIS) – Sheraton-Jefferson
Monday, July 23, 2012
- 7:00-8:30 a.m.
- Acquisitions Standing Committee/Roundtable Meeting – Sheraton-Commonwealth
- Joint Research Grant Committee Meeting (OBS-SIS and TS-SIS) – Sheraton-Gardner A
- 7:15-8:15 a.m. – Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group Meeting – HCC-Room 301
- 8:30–9:45 a.m.
- 9:00 a.m. – Exhibit Hall Opens
- 9:45–10:45 a.m. – Exhibit Hall Break
- 10:45–11:45 a.m. – Program E3: Seminoles and Gators: Can Shared Patron Driven Acquisitions of E-books Overcome the Rivalry? – HCC-Room 304 [Description]
- Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Education Committee Meeting for 2013 Annual Meeting – Sheraton-Jefferson
- Membership Committee Meeting – Sheraton-Exeter B
- Professional Development Committee Meeting – Sheraton-Dalton A
- Rare Book Roundtable – Sheraton-Berkeley B
- Website Advisory Roundtable – Sheraton-Dalton B
- 12:30-1:00 p.m. – TSLL Executive Board Meeting – Sheraton-Clarendon A
- 1:15–2:15 p.m.
- 2:45-4:00 p.m. – OCLC Users Roundtable (OBS-SIS) – HCC-Room 205
- 5:45-6:30 p.m. – Technical Services Group Meeting (PLL-SIS) – Sheraton-Fairfax B
- 5:45-6:45 p.m.
- Heads of Cataloging Roundtable – Sheraton-Back Bay Ballroom A
- Task Group on Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records – Sheraton-Jefferson
- Collection Development Roundtable (ALL-SIS) – HCC-Room 300
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
- 7:15-8:15 a.m.
- Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group Meeting – HCC-Room 305
- Serials Standing Committee and Roundtable – Sheraton-Independence Ballroom West
- 8:30-9:45 a.m. –Researchers Roundtable (OBS-SIS & TS-SIS) – HCC-Room 204
- 9:00 a.m. – Exhibit Hall Opens
- 10:15-11:45 a.m. – User Group Meeting (OBS-SIS) – HCC-Room 207 [Description]
- 1:30–2:30 p.m. – Exhibit Hall Break
- 2:30–3:15 p.m. – Program J5: Class KIA-KIX: A Revolutionary New Classification Schedule for the 21st Century – HCC-Room 311 [Description]
- 3:45–4:45 p.m.
- 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- Cataloging and Classification Roundtable – HCC-Room 205
- Technical Services Management Issues Roundtable – Sheraton-Republic Ballroom B