TS-SIS Long-Time Member Profile:
Janice Snyder Anderson
Associate Law Librarian for Collection Services
Georgetown University Law Library
On this page:
Place And Date Of Birth
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA suburbs.
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh.
- M.L.S., Rutgers University
Reading, gardening, dancing, going to the movies and to museums. Sailing is fabulous but boat ownership will eat up all your money and your time.
Passionate about my children and my dog. (Sally finally passed on, and Jackson is less tolerant of my time on the PC. He recently grabbed the cord to the cable modem and gave it a big yank when I was working.)
Inspiration For Becoming A Law Librarian
I have always loved working in libraries, especially working with computers in libraries. I did not plan to work in a law library, but I came to Georgetown and found it so interesting that I could not leave. Bob Oakley always inspires us to try new things and explore new avenues, and the job never gets stale. I can’t envision a change of career because I find that the people who choose to work in libraries are usually the most kind, thoughtful, caring folks on earth.
- Georgetown University Law Library, Associate Law Librarian for Collection Services, 1984 to present
- George Washington University, Gelman Library, Head of Serials Dept.
- U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library, Serials Cataloger and then Special Assistant to the Director for Automation
- Princeton University, Bibliographer
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL)
- AALL Committees: AALLNet Advisory Committee
- Special Committee on Permanent Public Access to Legal Information
- Committee on Relations with Information Vendors; Bylaws Committee (Chair)
- Publications Policy Special Committee
- Awards Committee
- Preservation Committee
- Representative to Network Advisory Committee of the Library of Congress
- AALL TS-SIS (current Executive Board Member)
- AALL OBS- SIS (former Chair)
- AALL SR-SIS (former webmaster)
- Law Librarians’ Society of Washington, DC (former Executive Board Member)
- Southeastern Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries
- Former active member and office holder in the District of Columbia Library Association and the Potomac Technical Processing Librarians Chapter of ALA
- Washington, DC Mayor’s Award for Excellence in Preservation for creating and maintaining the Historic Preservation Law web site.
- Georgetown University Vicennial Medal for Service to the University