TS-SIS Long-Time Member Profile:
Margaret Maes Axtmann
Associate Director for Information Resources
Schoenecker Law Library
University of St. Thomas
On this page:
Place And Date Of Birth
Born 1951 in Green Bay, Wisconsin
- B.A., 1973, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
- M.A., 1975, University of Denver, Graduate School of
Interested in literature, other cultures, piano, jazz, sports, movies, reading, travel, collecting pottery.
Inspiration For Becoming A Law Librarian
I went to library school with a specific plan to work in public libraries, but I got a part-time job at the University of Denver Law Library. Al Coco was the director, and I worked for Barb Allen and Sue Weinstein. They were all inspirations to me and helped me choose law librarianship as my initial career path. Farther along in my career, Phyllis Marion and Jane Hammond both taught me a lot about law librarianship and professional service.
Current Position Challenges
There are two: 1) collecting retrospective (and often out-of-print) monographs, and 2) managing a wide array of electronic resources.
- University of St. Thomas Schoenecker Law Library, Associate Director for Information Resources, 4/01-present
- University of Minnesota Law Library, Assistant Director for Collections and Technical Services, 12/90-3/01
- Cornell Law Library, Acquisitions Librarian, 9/82-11/90 and Foreign & International Law Bibliographer, 10/87-1/90
- National Center for State Courts, Head Librarian, 1/79-7/82
and Associate Librarian, 11/76-12/78
- Hindry & Meyer, P.C., Librarian, 9/75-11/76
'Crazy' Non-Professional Activity
Most of the things in my life that I consider crazy have to do with speed, e.g. barreling down a mountain on skis (with almost no instruction) and crashing into a fence. However, I have never broken or sprained anything.
Earliest Childhood Memory
Playing the piano and singing with my grandmother.
Where In Five Years?
I’d like to be retired and traveling, but realistically I’ll still be working and probably in the same job.
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL)
- American Library Association (ALA)
- Canadian Association of Law Libraries
- International Association of Law Libraries
- Minnesota Association of Law Libraries
- 2004 Recipient, AALL Presidential Certificate of Appreciation
- 1997/98 Recipient, Law Librarianship Award for Outstanding Service, presented by the Minnesota Association of Law Libraries
- 1994 Recipient, Renee D. Chapman Memorial Award for
Contributions in Technical Services Law Librarianship, sponsored by the
AALL Technical Services SIS