TS-SIS Long-Time Member Profile:
Mary Alice Peeling
Head of Technical Services/CALR
Widener University School of Law Library
On this page:
Place And Date Of Birth
June 20, 1954 West Chester, PA
- AB 1976 Hood College, Frederick MD
- MSLS 1978 Villanova University, Villanova, PA
- JD 1991 Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, DE
Quilting, Antiques, Old Houses, Baskets.
Inspiration For Becoming A Law Librarian
I had wanted to work in a museum library but there was an opening at Widener Law School and I accepted the position. I’ve grown to love law libraries and hope to spend the rest of my career here. My inspiration and mentors have been our two long term directors – Richard Humphreys and Eileen Cooper.
- Law Library, Widener University School of Law, Delaware
- Head of Technical Services/CALR Librarian 1997-
- Head of Technical Services 1991 - 1996
- Serials Librarian/Systems Librarian1990-1991
- Serials Librarian 1985 - 1990
- Audiovisual Librarian 1984 - 1985
- Cataloger 1982 – 1984
- Catalog Assistant 1979 - 1982
- Delaware Library Consortium, Wilmington, DE Cataloger, Part-time 1980-1987
- 1979 Chestnut Hill College, Philadelphia, PA. Assistant Cataloger (temporary position)
- 1977-1978 Archmere Academy, Claymont, DE Assistant to Librarian (part time)
'Crazy' Non-Professional Activity
Buying the 200 year old house that I grew up in has been both crazy and rewarding.
Earliest Childhood Memory
This isn’t my earliest memory but certainly points to my future career as a librarian. Several years ago I found hand made library cards in the back of most of my childhood books. I had carefully created them when we played school.
Where In Five Years?
Still at Widener but probably in a different position with new challenges.
- Admitted to practice: Pennsylvania 1991-
- American Association of Law Libraries
- American Bar Association
- Greater Philadelphia Law Library Association
- Member at Large 2005/2006
- Past President 2000/2001
- President 1999/2000
- Vice President/President Elect 1998/1999
- Delaware Library Association
- Mid Atlantic Innovative Users Group
- Past Chair 2005/200
- Chair 2004/2005
- Vice Chair 2003/2004
- Planning Committee 1991
- Northeast Regional Innovative Users Group Meeting