|Technical Services SIS
2000-2001 Executive Board
July 18, 2001
Present: Pam Deemer (Sec./Treas.), Karen Douglas (Acq.), JoAnn Hounshell (Chair), Angelina Joseph (M.-at-L.), Will Meredith (Preservation), Jim Mumm (Guest), Kathleen Pecarovich (M.-at-L.), Nancy Poehlmann (Cat. & Class.), Andrea Rabbia (Ser.), Alva Stone (Immediate Past Chair), Chris Tarr (V-C/Chair Elect, 2001-2002), Martin Wisneski (Webmaster)
I. Minutes of Outgoing Executive Board Meeting held Saturday, July 14, were not ready to be read. Pam Deemer gave a short summary of decisions made at that meeting.
II. Jim Mumm was invited to the Executive Board meeting because he is interested in starting a new committee on management issues. A group of about a dozen interested TS-SIS members met after the TS SIS business meeting on July 15 and again on July 16 for a longer period of time to discuss definitions, goals, feasibility, and set up. The group agreed management in technical services includes many aspects (for example, personnel, workflow, policies, technology, etc.). The committee would differ from other TS SIS committees in that it would deal with management concerns on a broader level in such a way that no matter what the management level a person is, that person may be interested. The committee's work may even appeal to some outside the TS-SIS. Although the committee would address issues unique to technical services, many issues could cover areas outside that area. In response to the worry that the committee may create competition for programs with other TS SIS committees, Alva Stone responded that the survey showed membership wants more management programs. The committee should not have any more expenses than any other TS-SIS committee. Jim will look at other committee charges, consult with the others who expressed interest, and develop a committee charge to suggest to TS Chair, JoAnn so that she may create an ad hoc committee. If the committee proves viable, it may become a standing committee later. Jim will send the suggested charge to JoAnn by December 15, 2001.
III. Committee reports:
A. Will Meredith (Preservation): The Preservation Committee met in Minneapolis. Their charge from AALL is still being studied. They are developing a program proposal, which may actually become more of an ongoing exhibit-type thing. They are thinking of a film festival of films related to preservation. Perhaps Hein could sponsor it.
B. Karen Douglas (Acquisitions): The Acquisitions Committee met on July 16 and discussed the upcoming "road show", New Perspectives in Acquisitions and Collection Development" to take place Nov. 2 & 3, 2001. The Committee also considered using the world wide web as an acquisitions tool and the other an elementary program on vendor relations. Karen also reported that Jim Mumm was going to lead the Acquisitions Roundtable in a discussion of best practices in acquisitions towards a way to standardize those practices. Jim will send Karen the results. The question arose, is this a future project that could use a research grant?
C. Nancy Poehlmann (Cataloging & Classification): Chris Long announced at the Cataloging and Classification Committee meeting that the Library of Congress had approved using Great Britain after 1536 and England, Scotland, Wales prior to 1536. Our representatives to SAC, CC:DA, and MARBI gave their reports. Jolande Goldberg could not attend AALL this year, but Chris reported for her that KBM and KBP were being finalized and would go to the web pilot site. LC is reclassifying titles to KBR and KBU titles to determine if they truly work. The Administration Subcommittee is concerning itself with paraprofessionals. The focus of the Inherently Legal Subjects Subcommittee did not pan out. New volunteers for that subcommittee were asked to sign up for it. The attendees again expressed interest for more cataloging a la carte programs, perhaps something on classification. Because dissatisfaction was expressed that more training programs could not be planned as part of the annual meeting, Chris asked those interested in finding alternative means of training sign up for a subcommittee. The Executive Board suggested more web-based courses, regional programs, institutes, and workshops and having speakers come to discussion groups/roundtables at the AALL The annual meeting.
D. Andrea Rabbia (Serials): The Serials Committee met and discussed AALL representation to NASIG and SISAC. There was talk of instead of having a SISAC representative, having a NASIG one. Everyone agreed NASIG representation was a good idea, but no one wanted to serve. The Committee is working on two program proposals, 1) publications patterns in the MARC record and how to use them and 2) Integrating resources. Paddy Satzer has agreed to take charge of the Exchange of Duplicates [now] Subcommittee. JoAnn reminded that there was no limit to the number of persons who may be on a committee and that all committees are open meetings.
E. Alva Stone (Immediate Past Chair): Alva asked if the Board would approve her purchasing Sturgis' Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure. JoAnn replied she has a copy that she will donate to the SIS after her term, if it is still current. Alva reassured the Board that according to the rules, the quorum rule is effective at the time of a meeting and is not applied retrospectively. Apparently the OBS strategic plan is a long one, like our original strategic plan. If the Board approves the strategic plan and the membership is advised of the strategic plan, it is not necessary to put the plan to the vote of the membership.
F. JoAnn Hounshell (Chair) speaking about the Bylaws and Handbook Committee: JoAnn has appointed David Bratman to be the new Chair. Pam will send him a copy of the proposed and membership approved bylaws to send to the AALL Bylaws Committee for final approval. When that committee has approved the amendments, he will then send them to Martin to update the Bylaws section on the web.
G. Angelina Joseph (Member-at-Large): Angelina asked for volunteers for the TS-SIS table in the exhibit hall and got some. Brochures about the Section, the Mentoring Project, and the basic law cataloging institute were picked up by people. Alva Stone provided the bulletin board display. She will bring it to next year's annual meeting in Orlando as well. Angelina has consented to handle next year's "alphabet soup" reception. This year was the first time the reception was not held in a hotel or conference center. The multi-SIS committee discovered food can be cheaper and doesn't run out if not held in a hotel or conference center.
H. Martin Wisneski (Webmaster): JoAnn told Martin that the Section has had lots of positive compliments on our newsletter and web site. We extended our discourse from Saturday's meeting on getting content and deciding what should go on the web site, i.e., what direction, goals, and mission does the site have? We agreed that professional development programs should be posted there as well as announcements about awards and grants. The news roller is a good idea. JoAnn will ask Reggie Wallen for a biography and perhaps a picture of Renee Chapman to add to the section on the Chapman Awards. To help Martin update the TS-SIS web site, one of the Members-at-Large (Kathleen Pecarovich) will keep an eye out for things to add to it. Suggestions for additions to the web site should be made to Martin and the Member-at-Large Kathleen Pecarovich. Martin went to a AALL webmaster session at this meeting, which helped.
I. JoAnn Hounshell (Chair): She and Pam will develop a welcoming letter to send to new members. The letter will also ask if they would like to volunteer to help the Section and in which committee they would like to be placed. Pam will send the letter out on a quarterly basis. JoAnn also intends to send out a monthly e-mail to Board members to say what she is working on, to ask for feedback, and to ask for help. On another topic, proposals and the Education Committee, she said it helps if the person proposing fleshes out the proposal and says what association the program has with the section and theme of the annual meeting. The Education Committee is a sounding board and may tweak proposals to enhance their chances of acceptance by AALL.